Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Installing 2 hole plugs with new 3 hole plugs in a very old home
    I am trying to install new plugs through out my entire home. This home currently has 2 hole plugs. How do I ground the new plugs, all the wiring is old 2 wire wrapped in what seems to be a cloth like insulator. Having the same problem with installing GFI plugs with Light switch combinations. Any help would be helpful. Thank You
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 04:33 AM
    What can be done is to install a GFI circuit breaker for each circuit that has receptacles that will be changed to 3 wire.

This will not create a equipment ground. Each new 3 wire outlet installed will need a label stating " No Equipment Ground".

These labels come with GFI receptacles, I do not believe they come with GFI breakers.

You can use GFI receptacles, one at the beginning of each circuit and it will protect the remaining receptacles downstream. Problem here is often times the device is too large for the existing outlet boxes.

Devices, such as surge protectors, that need an equipment round to operate, will not operate properly.

There is a misunderstood exception in the electrical code, you may have heard of, that allows a ground wire to be installed to the grounding electrode system, however, this is only for a new outlet and cable extension,not for existing outlet.

In this case, my advice will always be, if you can run a new power cable from an existing outlet, and then run a ground wire to the grounding electrode, you can run a new power cable to the panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford f250 turbo diesel glow plugs how do I test glow plugs? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I test glow plugs?

Is a dirt sump pump hole safe, rather than a concrete hole? [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better... Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty? I have noticed more bugs in this...

Plugging hole in main sewer line/installing cleanout? [ 2 Answers ]

My basement sewer backs up every so often from a hole the previous owner drilled in the cast iron pipe which they used as a drain for the washer and a wash basin. The hole is 2-3 inch in diameter and is not sealed in anyway. To me this seems stupid and probably the cause of the sewer backups...

Installing new deadbolt and enlarging the mounting hole [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased a new deadbolt lock for my front door, which requires me to drill a 2-1/8inch diameter hole in the door. There is already an existing smaller diameter hole for the old deadbolt. My question is: are there any tricks to enlarging the diameter of an existing hole? My hole saw uses a...

View more questions Search