Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Catholic priests at it again!
    VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI met Friday with Germany's top bishop amid the spiraling abuse scandal rocking the Catholic Church in his homeland.

Archbishop Robert Zollitsch has apologized to German victims and promised to cooperate with prosecutors. But he and the Vatican have also insisted that sexual abuse of children isn't a problem specific to the Catholic Church.

Zollitsch met with the pope Friday morning in a previously scheduled audience at the Vatican. He planned a press conference later in the day.

At least 170 former students from Catholic schools in Germany have come forward recently with claims of physical and sexual abuse, including at an all-boys choir once led by the pope's brother.

Benedict hasn't commented on the German scandal himself. But he decried the sexual abuse of children as a "heinous crime" after he summoned Irish bishops to Rome last month to discuss the even more widespread scandal in the Irish church.

In addition to the cases in Germany and Ireland, three retired priests at a Catholic school in Austria were relieved of their clerical duties this week after allegations of physical and sexual abuse emerged. Two other priests in Austria have resigned amid similar allegations. And in the Netherlands, Catholic bishops announced an independent inquiry into more than 200 allegations of sexual abuse of children by priests at church schools and apologized to victims.

But of all the European scandals, the German abuse allegations are particularly sensitive because Germany is Benedict's homeland, where he served as archbishop of Munich from 1977 to 1982, and because the scandals involve the prestigious choir that was led by his brother, Georg Ratzinger, from 1964 until 1994.

Ratzinger has repeatedly said the sexual abuse allegations date from before his tenure as choir director and that he never heard of them, although he has admitted to slapping pupils as punishment.

According to a poll conducted by the Emnid institute for N24 television, a full 86 percent of Germans accused the Roman Catholic Church of failing to do enough to explain the allegations of abuse in church-run schools and institutions. Only 10 percent of the 1,000 people polled on March 10 felt the church was doing enough.

Consequently, 68 percent of those polled say the abuse scandal has raised their criticism of the church's educational abilities, while 28 percent still trust the church to teach their children.

Bishop Stephan Ackermann, who has been appointed by the church to handle abuse allegations in Germany, said that he would also follow up on any charges against bishops.

"Bishops or parishes that are not cooperative will be asked for information," Ackermann said Thursday on ZDF television.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Protestant Clergy Abuse Equals or Exceeds Catholic Clergy Abuse

http://www.reformation.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286153,00.html

It's everywhere. No child is safe.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 07:38 AM
    Yes, it's everywhere. My BIL is a Presbyterian minister. He recently fired his youth minister for sexual advances towards my BIL's very own daughter. After the termination, the youth congregation came forward with many other complaints.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 08:36 AM

One solution
    Pure Desire
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    One solution
    Pure Desire
    The priests should attend those if it'll help save a child.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 11:42 PM
    As I said in another thread Don the rot goes all the way to the top. The RCC would do well to lock the door, throw away the key and start again
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    As i said in another thread Don the rot goes all the way to the top. the RCC would do well to lock the door, throw away the key and start again
    The point here is that the rot is with the protestant church as well and even in jewish congregations.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The point here is that the rot is with the protestant church as well and even in jewish congregations.
    The sad part NK is that the rot appears to be everywhere and that those who think they should lead can't see why they should stand down. What I do know is that some are more willing to accept and acknowledge their imperfection than others, Now I know that I am not perfect and I acknowledge my faults but there are some here who think that the organisation they belong too is perfect
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    ... but there are some here who think that the organisation they belong too is perfect
    You're hatred for all things catholic has been noted here.
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You're hatred for all things catholic has been noted here.
    I cast a wide net and many fish are caught in it, I speak the truth, some don't like being confronted with the truth. If what you just said is a threat I don't respond well to threats.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 03:39 PM

And let us not forget the Karate instructors, and the Scout leaders who were charged over the past years, making local news.

I wonder why only the Catholic make national news, the others stay only on the local news
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And let us not forget the Karate instructors, and the Scout leaders who were charged over the past years, making local news.

I wonder why only the Catholic make national news, the others stay only on the local news
    Do you think that if Christians are found to be abusers they get pillored in the press because they hold themselves out to have certain standards of behaviour, whereas secular organisations are expected to only exhibit the general standard of behaviour found in the community, so a scout leader, or sporting instructor, could be expected to have a different standard of morality to that of clergy. In particular, the Catholic clergy have a vow of celebracy, so it is doublly obnoxious when it is found they couldn't live up to this standard.

There are those who think we shouldn't hold these people to the standard they tell us they hold themselves to, and shouldn't comment on their obvious lack of moral and spiritual fortitude but the whole world hates a hypocrite.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 10:29 PM

paraclete,
    You think that you speak the truth but your truth is far from fact about the Catholic Church.
    As I have said before you DO NOT understand it, period.
    So you have been picking on it for years at this thread and others.
    I've seen you do it time and again over the years.
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I marry catholic girl without being converted to catholic? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am hindu boy and my girlfriend is roman catholic we both are from india we have decided to spend our life together, my girlfriend wants to marry in roman catholic church as she said its her marriage with me will not be held valid till she get married in church as per christianity and also...

A Catholic ? [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean to be a Catholic?”

Who should pay legal fees for Priests? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the church's stance on paying legal fees for Priests? For example, should donations intended for philanthropy be used to defend "offendors" who admit that they are guilty? Is it our duty to aid the rehabilitation of the clergy? If so, to what extent?

The Catholic Religion [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have a question for anyone who knows about the catholic religion... I am getting married. My fiance's family is very catholic. My fiancé goes to church 2 times a year with his family, but isn't really involved other than that. I'm not religious and definitely not Catholic. I have...

View more questions Search