Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 05:45 AM
    Rocks!
    Ok so I don't know if anyone can help me or not, but here goes.
    Last summer I bought a piece of land and built a house there. It's just about 2 acres. To put the well and septic in they pretty much dug up the whole front yard and the whole back yard. Leaving nothing but ROCKS!

So with the front yard there was 3 of us filling up wheel barrows with rocks and dumping them. We hired a guy to come in and dump clean fill on the front. Well it wasn't so clean. It was filled with clay and rocks. It took the entire summer to rake, sift and spread. The front yard was the smaller job, this summer is the big job... the back yard.

People keep telling me to flatten all the rocks and just dump tandum loads of soil and then plant the grass seed. My question is, won't the rocks come up through the grass and ruin my lawn mower?

I have called landscaping places, but all they say they will do it some in and plant trees and lay sod. I can do that part myself. Who or what do I need to get rid of these rocks? Also I have a 12 foot tall pile of rubbish. Trees, mud, reocks, and anythoing else you can imagine. What am I going to do with this? Can I burn it? Will someone come and remove this? I know the people I called about the landscaping said they couldn't remove it.

Well I hope someone can give me some insight, I am at a loss, and do not want to be humping rocks for another summer.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:38 AM

Land fill mostly comprises what you have. Best bet is level it off and bring in top soil. I would use the best rocks to sculpt a rock garden (my personal favourite), plant ornamental grasses in it, etc. I do agree with the landscape companies though. Rent a dumpster and clear off what you can and have them dispose of it. An inexpensive way of dealing with it, they charge by the pound, but if you want it out of there, then the best way. I don't think your township will let you burn some of it, you would have to check with them.

I used to have my own landscaping company ! Tell you what, feed me and put me up for a week and I will help you with the rock garden :D

Tick
    Dogs Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:40 AM

That is SO fair! I will totally feed you! I am an amazing cook! Not to toot my own horn. Do you have any poctures of rock gardens to give me an idea?
    Dogs Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:41 AM

I will have to take pictures of the land to show you what I am working with. It's a mess.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    That is SO fair!! I will totally feed you! I am an amazing cook! Not to toot my own horn. Do you have any poctures of rock gardens to give me an idea?
    Sorry, no pics, landscaping business was way before I even thought of computers, but you can get lots of pics from your local library. They will have gardening books specifically for rock gardens !

Tick
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 06:59 AM
    I will have to take pictures of the land to show you what I am working with. It's a mess.
    Super idea AB !

Tick
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 07:13 AM

I could try and help with some links on rock gardens maybe Tick could guide you through them and find the best option. :)

Rock Gardens | Rock Gardens and Ponds
    Landscaping a Rock Garden - A Guide to Planning, Creating and Maintaining Rock Gardens
    Build a Rock Garden | Lilliput Gardens

Create a crevice garden - Rock Gardens - Gardens - Canadian Gardening
    http://landscapingideas.the-landscap...-garden-ideas/

Looking forward to before and after pics.

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    tickle agrees: dah ! never thought of that option, firmy !
    :p
    Always my first thought!

Aurora_Bell agrees: Thanks!! Really appreciate it!
    Welcome!
    Hope you find something that helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All about rocks. [ 1 Answers ]

What are changed rocks called?

Different tpyes of ROCKS [ 1 Answers ]

Which rock is often used to make beautiful statues?

Marriage still on the rocks [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I have posted a couple questions already. About 6 days ago my husband of almost 2 years told me he felt like he would be happier being single. Now we have been together for almost 10 years. We have no children. Honestly we have never been with anyone other than each other. We are both 25. I had...

Rocks [ 1 Answers ]

Would iron-containing limestone make a good building stone for a monument?

On the rocks [ 21 Answers ]

How do you know if the person is worth waiting, when you know that on the other end... she has someone else too?

View more questions Search