Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    almost9 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2010, 01:43 AM
    Emerson motor condenser wiring replacing 3 wire motor with 5 wire.
    Any recommendations? New motor apparently is capable of running in either direction by switching brown and purple wires going to the capacitor. Looks like then either the remaining brown or purple is spliced to or hooked up to the same terminal as the yellow. Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 01:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by almost9 View Post
    Any recommendations? New motor apparently is capable of running in either direction by switching brown and purple wires going to the capacitor. Looks like then either the remaining brown or purple is spliced to or hooked up to the same terminal as the yellow. Thanks.
    Follow the directions that come with the motor since you provided no other information to go by.

Mar 15, 2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks but the only directions were the wiring diagrams for 3/4 wire hook ups each showing cw c/cw.

I put the black on the control relay, orange and brown ones the capacitor terminals, same as the old 3 wire motor. Purple went on same terminal as the orange and yellow on brown terminal.

Works great now and I can tell it's now moving more air than the old motor.

Mar 17, 2010, 10:13 AM
    I wanted to update my repair. The next morning the new motor wasn't starting. Suspected a new capacitor was also needed. While reviewing the wiring print to get the capacitor specs realized I'd misunderstood the diagram. Reconnected the right way and now working well.

Old 3 wire motor:
    Black to control relay.
    Orange to capacitor.
    Brown to capacitor.

New 5 wire motor:
    Black to control relay.
    Orange to capacitor.
    Purple to capacitor.
    Brown and Yellow connected to each other and isolated from circuit.
    dgarrigus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Where does the white wire go
    dgarrigus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 01:22 PM

Where does the white wire go

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire up my new AC condenser fan motor? [ 7 Answers ]

My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire. What do I do with it? AC is a 1996 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. New motor has 4. Black, brown, orange, and brown with a white stripe. Does anybody...

How do I wire a new condenser fan motor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Trane unit with GE condenser fan motor number 5kcp39fg. New condennser fan motor is A.O. Smith number F48k92A01. My question is on the old fan motor there were only 3 wires two for cap and looks like 1 for motor line and the new motor has a brown and brown/white for cap a black for line...

How do I wire up a new condenser fan motor [ 5 Answers ]

The old condenser fan motor (EMERSON model # is K48HXFCN-3727,HP-1/8,v 208-230,rpm 1075with 3mfd 370vac dual capacitor) is making a noise.When I got a new one (EMERSON model#is K48HXTMG-4003 HP-1/8,v208-230,rpm1075 come with 5.0mfd 370vac capacitor). I am confused, I need help trying to do the...

Change 4 wire condenser motor to 3 wire motor [ 4 Answers ]

I need TO know how to wire a condenser motor. The one I am taking out is a 230 volt it has 2 brown capacitor wires and a black and white. The one I want to put in is a 230 volt/5 mfd capacitor motor. This one has a red wire a black wire and only one brown capacitor wire. How do I retrofit this....

Where to land the yellow wire off condenser fan motor? [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently tried to change out my condenser fan.My old fan was a G.E mod.#5kcp39gfp922ds it had a multi tap capacitor with a black wire leaving the motor and Landing on the defrost board at (DF2).The new motor I was given is a G.E mod.#5kcp39kgl733s.Both are the same 1/4hp, 825rpms, 208-230 V....

View more questions Search