Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carletta0925 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
    Probation violation sentence
    What is the consequences of violating your probation in GA for failure to report? Plus this person is a first time offender.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 04:52 PM

Was this the first report, did they call to reschedule ? Often the PO will merely violate them, issue a warrant for their arreest, they will be arrested, and held in jail for 1 or 2 months pending a violation hearing, the judge will warn them, and put them back on probation using the couple months in jail as punishment.

But then the PO may juts over look it, if the person calls and goes in right away after missing the meeting

Mar 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    was this the first report, did they call to reschedule ? Often the PO will merely violate them, issue a warrant for thier arreest, they will be arrested, and held in jail for 1 or 2 months pending a violation hearing, the judge will warn them, and put them back on probation using the couple months in jail as punishment.

but then the PO may juts over look it, if the person calls and goes in right away after missing the meeting
    No it was not his first report. He was reporting but then he stop, he hasn't reported in a long time,but the PO just issue the warrant for him. He has a job so he really can't afford to be in jail that long.
    Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 09:10 PM

He will, sorry his own fault for not reporting. Depending on where he lives, some areas have so many people picked up GA has special state holding areas called probation and parole detention areas, Where they hold people waiting to go back to court. It will be (my guess) at least 2 or 3 weeks to get a hearing, but can be a lot longer. Esp now, some courts are cutting back, some departments taking some days off and so on. His attorney may file a motion to try and get it heard faster, but a couple weeks would be a super rush normally and seldom happens. ( esp in GA)

Also that is the least of his issue, the time to the hearng, if he just stopped going, it is very likely that the jduge will be sure he does a few months just to teach him a lesson, since he refused to go not to just one meeting but a lot of meetings when he just stopped going

He should have known what would happen, I mean if you catch the judge on a bad day ( maybe a fight with his wife) they can send him to prison for his entire probation sentnece

Mar 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
    he will, sorry his own fault for not reporting. Depending on where he lives, some areas have so many people picked up GA has special state holding areas called probation and parole detention areas, Where they hold people waiting to go back to court. It will be (my guess) at least 2 or 3 weeks to get a hearing, but can be alot longer. Esp now, some courts are cutting back, some departments taking some days off and so on. His attorney may file a motion to try and get it heard faster, but a couple weeks would be a super rush normally and seldom happens. ( esp in GA)

Also that is the least of his issue, the time to the hearng, if he just stoped going, it is very likely that the jduge will be sure he does a few months just to teach him a lesson, since he refused to go not to just one meeting but alot of meetings when he jsut stoped going

he should have known what would happen, I mean if you catch the judge on a bad day ( maybe a fight with his wife) they can send him to prison for his entire probation sentnece
    Well I hope not,when I talk to his PO,he said he will have to go in front of the judge,but can't his PO release the warrant and put him on house arrest so he can go back to work until he go in front of the judge,or he can have report to jail every weekend to do his time.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carletta0925 View Post
    but can't his PO release the warrant and put him on house arrest so he can go back to work until he go in front of the judge
    Hello c:

Yes, the PO COULD do that.

excon

Mar 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello c:

Yes, the PO COULD do that.

excon
    Im just so scared for him,cause I'm reading all these stories and all of them end up with the person doing jail time. I don't want that to happen to him cause he needs his job.It's only his 1st technicality.
    Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 03:28 PM

Actually every week or month he did not report was an additional violation, if he moved without notification that is another one. But anyway, don't expect the PO to release him to go to work, that way the PO is at risk to look bad if he does not show up, esp since he was not showing up for his appointments.

I may have missed but how long has he not reported, one month, two months a year ? The longer it has been the worst you can expect the judge and the PO to be.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 04:07 PM
    He was reporting but then he stop, he hasn't reported in a long time,
    Hello again, carletta:

I notice that you said it's only a technical violation. If he missed ONE appointment, that would be a technical violation. Missing one, and then absconding is a whole nother story. He's going to do some jail time.

excon

Mar 13, 2010, 06:43 PM
    actually every week or month he did not report was an additional violation, if he moved without notification that is another one. But anyway, dont expect the PO to release him to go to work, that way the PO is at risk to look bad if he does not show up, esp since he was not showing up for his appointments.

I may have missed but how long has he not reported, one month, two months a year ? the longer it has been the worst you can expect the judge and the PO to be.
    Well he has called his PO and told him several times in the past why he was not reporting,he didn't say he was in violation @ that time and plus why his PO has not even tried to get in touch with him or send him letters,he send his payments off to ATL by mail cause they do not accept payments anymore in the office.

Mar 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, carletta:

I notice that you said it's only a technical violation. If he missed ONE appointment, that would be a technical violation. Missing one, and then absconding is a whole nother story. He's gonna do some jail time.

excon
    It's up to what the judge say not anyone else but thanks for the bad news.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Well he has called his PO and told him several times in the past why he was not reporting,
    Hello again, c:

You make it sound like I'm happy he's going to jail. I'm not. I'm not unhappy either.. He brought this upon himself. Probation is the easiest thing to do - especially when you have a job and a place to live.

Why he wasn't reporting isn't important. I guess your boyfriend thought it was. Maybe NOW he'll realize that what HE thinks doesn't matter to those people.

excon
    Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 07:21 AM

Yep, I know one young boy, ( in GA) he missed a couple, and they put in jail for a couple weekends, he got mad and just stopped going to "teach them a lesson"
    That worked very well, he had 4 years of probation, so the judge let him go to prison for 3 of those four years.

PO are paper pushers, they want 'i" dotted and "t" crossed. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not there to help you, help him, they are there to have good reviews by their bosses, if they are under the old merit system, ( they can't get fired basicly) they don't even care about that.

If someone is not following the rules, it makes them look bad on paper and they do something about it.
    But again, the whyis not important, unless the PO rescheduled, or unless he is laying in a hospital bed, he has to report.

He chose something else more important than reporting, so he made a wrong choice
    daniadams22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
    I am actually on house arrest for my 1st pv, I was in jail for 13 days and my po got me out and put me on house arrest, I am 6 months pregnant and have a full-time job now. My court date is this afternoon. I was wondering if I will get off today or will I be kept on until the end of my probation which is September 1st of this year
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by daniadams22 View Post
    i was wondering if i will get off today or will i be kept on til the end of my probation which is september 1st of this year
    Hello d:

We don't know, but I wish you the best. Come on back tonight and tell us the good news.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation Violation? What do you think the sentence may be? [ 14 Answers ]

My boyfriend violated his probation by not reporting to his probation officer. She violated him three times for the same offense. He was originally sentenced to 5 years in prison, but was released in four months with probation. They just got him about three days ago. Why he was not reporting was...

How long will they sentence you for violation of probation? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend went to jail for violating his probation because he didn't go to his appointment

Can a sentence be suspended on a felony probation violation pending outcome of allege [ 6 Answers ]

Can a felony probation violation be suspended temporarily to allow for the outcome of the trial for the alleged incident that was the violation? If the violation incident ends in a not guilty, then therefore there shouldn't be any violation, correct?

How long a sentence do you get on a probation violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was convicted of a misdemeanor gun possession in CA, it was my first offense and I don't have anything else on my record. I completed community service but I didn't pay the fines because I can't find a job, it was due 3 months ago is this a violation of my probation, Can the PD help me if I...

View more questions Search