Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinky123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 09:02 PM
    Hit and Go
    3 days ago, unfortunately I hit a car, it was parked in a road. It was during when I was taking back and I thought it was a small touch. So I did not informed the car owner. But today I saw some paint on the back bumper of my car and I hope it is the paint of that car. I don't know what was happened with that car really. So if they complained with police what will be the procedures ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 10:43 AM
    I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me you are guilty of a hit-and-run. However, since there were NO injuries, you may be able to resolve it by going to the owner, admit the error and settle with him WITHOUT involving the police. Further, unless the damage is major, I would not even tell either your or his insurance companies. Just offer to pay for the repairs out of pocket.

That way, you do not have a hit-and-run criminal complaint on your record and your insurance rates will not explode upward!

Be ready to pay about $1,000, but trust me, that's minor compared to what you will pay if you get the police or insurance company involved.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 21, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Unless someone witnessed the bump and got your license number, its unlikely you will be traced. If that had happened, you probably would have been contacted by now.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Scott's point is well taken.

The question is whether you want to take the chance.

If you come forward, the cost will be minimal.

If they track you down, you are looking at some significant fines and possibly a record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Ok, this is what has happened at this point, the person whose car you hit, has called the police and did a police report. They have contacted their insurance company. Their insurance company will fix their car if they have full coverage,if they don't have, the insurance will not fix it, and they have to pay to have it fixed.

If anyone witnessed it, they will give that info to the police, If you are caught, you will get charged with hit and run ( or a similar crime depending on your area) Normally this will cause you to loose your drivers license and a very very large fine.

Now I will ask you, if you have a car with only lets say liability not full coverage, and this "bump" did 500 to 1000 in damage and you work at a min wage job, you now have a damaged car you can't afford to fix.

So from a moral standpoint, it is very bad to do damage to someone's property and not try to make it right. Even if it causes you more harm.

Also a note, even if you "bump" someone, you are suppose to get out and look, and see if there is damge and at least leave your name and number for the other driver,

Now yes, if you try to contact them, they may call the police on you, and may have found a lot more damage at this point. But the time to do the right thing at the right time has passed.

Your only two choices now are do nothing and hope no one knows who you were and leave the other person to have to pay for damages that are not their fault. Or try and find them and make it right even if it makes things hard on you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Hello pinky:

If you find the owner of the car you hit, he'll be so happy you found him that I can't imagine that he'd call the cops. Of course, be prepared to pay. Even a teeny scratch today will cost $300 - $500 to fix. A dent will cost more.

But, you'll feel good about yourself. And you should. You'd be a mench.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hit me with your best shot! [ 12 Answers ]

I am on a 80's music hunt. I have a pretty large selection of 80's music, but I'm sure that there are a few songs out there that I don't have yet. If you have a hot minute, just ramble off some groups, or song titles that I can look up so I can add to my collection of great 80's music. ...

My ex hit me [ 24 Answers ]

The ex I told you all about hit me,Because I would not go back to him. He told me if I did not come back to him then no one would have me, So now why do I steel love him? I want to go back to him,So what do I do? I love this guy more than anything in the wourld. I just wish he would grow up. He...

I already hit a plateau [ 2 Answers ]

I have been exercising on an elliptical rider for 1 hour a day, 6 days a week, for a month. I also do toning exercises 2-3 times a week. I have tracked every bite I have eaten also. I had two babies in 13 months. I gained 100+ pounds. Since Jan 30, 2006 I have lost 9 lbs, but only in the first two...

Hit a rock [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman 2.0 mower. I hit a rock and now the mower is making noise. It still operates, still cuts, but the pullstart wire vibrates like crazy and it sounds like something is striking underneath. The blade looks okay and I don't see any apparent damage underneath. Any ideas?

Anybody Out There Been Hit With Spazbox [ 34 Answers ]

I've been hit with some type of virus that has taken over my Internet Explorer. Every time I reboot my computer I'm directed to a website http:// clicks.spazbox.net/mt.html/ and a Trojan virus (of differing types) is inserted into my system. On each occcasion various malicious programs have been...

View more questions Search