Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 06:42 AM
    Pool Light burning out.
    Have a customer that said he has had to replace the 300 watt Pool Light Bulb within a month a couple of times.
    The socket is clean, Secondary is wired to the 12 Volt Tap.
    No loose Neutral, and other lights on same circuit do not blow, Voltage is always good when testing. Any Ideas?
    I about half tempted to relocate the Transformer to increase the length of the Low voltage line, and reduce the length of the High Voltage line, to reduce the voltage the Bulb sees.
    Transformer had been replaced and is currently about 6' away from the Bulb.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Just some stab in the dark questions:

Wet niche or Dry Niche? Not that it matters.

12 Volt lamp?

Measured 12 volt at transformer?

I doubt it, but any chance of vibration at the lamp, socket, fixture?

Instead of redcuing voltage at lamp by increasing voltage drop of wire, any chance of finding a lamp rated higher voltage than supply?

This transformer supplies more than this one fixture?
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 08:01 AM

Yeah, I was hoping to find a 13 Volt? BUlb, currently looking into LED, But they are Expensive. They are Nice.
    It was 12 Volts at XFMR under load.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Got the make and model number of the lamp?

Is this similar?

300PAR56/WFL/12V - INDUSTRIAL GRADE
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 09:01 AM

That's similar, and would work but needs the R 19 threads.
    Its Dry.
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Sorry now you got me, what is R 19 threads?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

Vibration, stress, bad lot of bulbs, loose connections and surges are the general killers.

Loose connections could be anywhere. If you can measure across the contacts, it could be ideal.

It looks like R19 is a type, not a base: EiKO 05411EK ML-2100 100W R19 120V E26 Medium Screw Base Frosted 2800K Modeling Photographic Light Bulb - Compatible with Novaton 2100 series, Elinchrom D-lites and Profoto Acute photographic strobes

Do you suspect surges? How about the switch? Want to add a ZNR to eliminate the surges?
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 07:48 AM

The Pool is embedded is solid Coral, Vibration should not be a problem, as well as No Loose connection Found at The Connections.
    Bad batch, or Cheap bulbs would be my guess.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
    I would agree with bad batch, but this assumes the client purchased a case of lamps, and is going through them one after the other.

If the lamps are getting purchased one by one as they burn out, maybe not so much is it a bad batch.

Strat, do you have access to a power quality recording unit. Would be best to record at the fixture terminals, however, if the unit is inaccssible during normal operation, as I would assume, thena t the xfer would be fine,since it is only a few feet away.

You never answered me, does the xfer serve only this lamp, or others?

How many?
    Lamp wattage?
    Xfer size?

Also, what does the R19 refer to?
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 03:02 PM

Just the 300 Watt bulb on the XFMR. Recording would be nice and was an idea. This can take a month before it blows.
    We have small suppliers down here, and salesman can sell them crap, they likely get them at a good price and tell them they are quality?
    Would have to double check XFMR wattage, it has 12, 13, and 14 volt Taps. Using the 12 volt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pilot light won't stay burning [ 7 Answers ]

I have a sear wall furnace series 600. I replaced the thermo couple valve- pilot still will not stay burning. What should I check next?

Halogen light fixtures keep burning out [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys, first time posting... In our basement, we have two halogen light fixtures installed by an electrician. At first, these fixtures were installed to be using these lightbulbs (the ones with the two prongs that plug into a circular base). One of the two light fixtures has an issue where...

Light Switch won't work, light is burning [ 3 Answers ]

I walked into my house and turned on the kitchen overhead light. A loud electrical pop went off and the light blew. It did not blow the fuse but the light cannot be turned off now. Is the switch bad?

Cost of burning a light bulb? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a nagging husband that is convinced that I am costing him an arm and leg leaving too many lights on in our home. If there is more than one on that is too many he says. This is driving me crazy. Most of the lights in our home are just the standard light bulbs. Most of them are 60 watts...

Burning Smell Associated with Light Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have one light switch that frequently produces a burning smell when turned off (although the light plate is never warm to the touch). The light switch is not particularly old, but wasn't replaced yesterday either. I have had this problem in apartments I have lived in in the past, although this...

View more questions Search