Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Avasean Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
    Painful Ear Popping Followed by Silence
    For the past few days, anytime I yawn or open my mouth wide to talk or sing or whatever, the inside of my right ear feels like someone stabbed it with a needle. It is almost unbearably painful. For about half an hour to an hour after that, I can't hardly hear anything out of that ear. It is starting to worry me. Should I be concerned? I clean out my ears regularly, so I don't think it is an infection.

Ear problems run in my family. My youngest sister had to have tubes put in her ears when she was an infant; my brother had to have surgery on his ear (I don't remember what was wrong with it) about 10 years ago. Now he has a tumor (no cancer) in the same ear.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I really hope it isn't anything serious, because I have no health insurance and no way to pay for any kind of medical help.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 10:20 AM
    It does sound as though you might have fluid behind your eardrums. This can be caused by something as simple as a common cold, or otitis media (inner ear infection).

Have you been ill recently?

Mar 10, 2010, 10:25 AM

Yes, I am recovering from a cold. It keeps traveling around my house and work... since my husband, our roommate and I all work in the same place. Is it something I need to worry about? The only remains of the cold I have are coughing and phlem.

BTW... I always look for your answers to my questions. You have always been the most helpful.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Thank you Avasean!

This is what I do when I am in the same situation you are in. You can alternate Sudafed and Benadryl. These two over-the-counter meds will help to dry up the fluid behind your ear. If it is not gone in a week, don't wait any longer, you will need to go to the doctor.

I still recommend being seen by someone though. I don't know where you live, but the local health department may be able to see you and here in the states Walgreens Drug Stores have set up clinics in many of their locations.

Mar 12, 2010, 12:42 PM

I've never taken sudafed that I can think of, but I know benadryl has a reverse effect on me. It makes me HYPER! And with as packed as my schedule is, the only time I would feel comfortable taking it is when I know I am not going anywhere, which is at night after work, so if I take it I won't be able to go to sleep.

But I will try the sudafed and see what that does. I guess a trip up north is out of the question until this is taken care of. I live in TX, and was thinking about going to Nevada within the next week or so. I suppose high altitudes wouldn't be good for me right now, huh?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painful lump behind my ear. [ 1 Answers ]

About three days ago I was chewing gum and I felt and heard a crack in my jaw(similar to when your joints crack). Soon after my neck got stiff and started hurting.the next day I realized that my neck was swollen on that same side,later in the day it went back to normal but I then discovered two...

Painful ear after shampooing [ 1 Answers ]

After shampooing my hair I am experiencing pain in my ear lubricating with cream seems to help. What can this be

Popping in right ear [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter has had a continuous ;oud popping noise in her ear for about a week now. The dr said she has a sticky ear. There is a small amount of fluid behind the ear but no infection. How do I stop the popping. It seems to get worse in the evenings. The school has sent her home because she is in...

Very painful lump behind ear [ 4 Answers ]

I have a big hard very painful lump behind my ear, its been there for 2 weeks and feels lke my skin is bieng stretched to the max it hurts so bad. I also have lumps in my head but the seem to be going no idea if they are all related!

View more questions Search