Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LivingtheLifeinFLA Posts: 137, Reputation: 29

Mar 10, 2010, 06:32 AM
    Foreclosure Condo Association
    I recently bought another property at foreclosure auction. The property was first foreclosed on by the Condo association for a fees lien.

I believe they then rented the property as they are entitled to do. The first lien holder then sold the property at auction of which I was the successful bidder.

What steps would you guys take next? I was think of the following:

Contact the Condo Associations attorney and provide them with a copy of the "Certificate of Sale" from the court.

Ask them for a copy of the bylaws, whether they rented the place out, copy of the lease, and their procedures to establish ownership (keys, etc).

Contact the renters and inform they to make rent payments to the new owner (me).

Does this sound logical? Also what about rent for the mid month, if I acquired on let's say the 15th and they collected for the full month? Who is entitled? What about security deposits they may have collected?

Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingtheLifeinFLA View Post
    ... Does this sound logical?
    Yes. It does seem strange that the condo association's lien was junior to the other lien, but if you are sure that's the case, go for it. Be prepared for their responding with the argument that their sale extinguished your lien.

Which state is this, by the way?

Also what about rent for the mid month, if I acquired on let's say the 15th and they collected for the full month? Who is entitled? What about security deposits they may have collected?
    Assuming your title is free and clear of that of the condo association, the tenant owes you from the date you notify the tenant of your position. The deposits are between the tenant and the condo association. Presumably the CA should return the deposits to the tenant, and you can demand new deposits from the tenant.

Mar 10, 2010, 07:51 AM

This is Florida. The Condo Association foreclosed but didn't pay off the first mortgage.

The 1st mortgage as Plaintiff then foreclosed and listed the Condo Association as one of the defendants.

Mar 10, 2010, 07:56 AM

Answer:

The Association can foreclose on its lien for assessments despite the superior first mortgage. At the foreclosure sale, no one will likely bid on the property because of the existing mortgage, and the Association will take possession with a small bid of around $100. Within a couple of weeks a certificate of title will be issued in the name of the Association, and they may seek a writ of possession. The unit will still be subject to the first mortgage, which will likely file their own foreclosure action and take possession away from the Association when you stop paying the mortgage (if you haven't already).

Assocaition's sometimes do this with owners that are many months past due, with no end in sight. They rather sacrifice the money to remove the owner and force the bank foreclosure.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 08:59 AM
    This is florida. The Condo Association foreclosed but didn't pay off the first mortgage.

The 1st mortgage as Plaintiff then foreclosed and listed the Condo Association as one of the defendents.
    Ok. Then, as I said, notify the tenants that you are now their new landlord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my Condo Association Discriminating Against Me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been renting this condo from my parents who refuse to defend me or get involved. Is it legal to only have one person on the board? She is the President and has been writing me up for the four years that I have lived here. My girlfriend was her former boss and said she has mental problems...

Condo association [ 1 Answers ]

Our assessment fees are already high,owners have a hard time paying,so we need help. One of the owners has a lien on their property, because of unpaid assement fees. This owners owes us almost 5.000 Where can I ask for help for our condominium association ? We need money to pay our bills and ...

How does the condo association know I am renting out my unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an owner of a condo which should be occupied by owner only per the bylaws. I relocated because of the job change. The unit is empty now. If I let my close friend move in, will the association find out the unit is not owner occupied? If they do, is there any way to work around so my friend...

Condo Association vs my roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an adult condo association in Florida and the other day I received a certified letter stating that I cannot have a roommate unless this person is dispossessed. This roommate is also above the age 55 requirement and I cannot conceive how by law that the condo association can tell me who...

View more questions Search