Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 06:30 AM
    Alternative Medicine for ADHD/ADD
    What are alternate methods of treatment for ADD/ADHD?
    What are the effects?
    What are positives of use/negatives of use?
    How readily available is the treatment?
    Other concerns?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 07:11 AM

This condition can be controlled by diet in some cases rather than medicine. The elimination of too much sugar and aspartame for starters can make a huge difference in the sufferer. Elimination of overly refined foods and junk foods is another option that works. It does take time and this is not an overnight solution.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 09:48 AM

I have actually been trying this for several years, great advice though Twinkie.

Are there any other options?
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2010, 07:04 PM

Well, EP, if you have listened to this doctor and cut out the junk food completely and any soda aspartame or regular sugar you would be much, much less hyper. Sometimes it's just something that has to work it's way out of your system by growing up. Eating sensibly and daily exercise can do a lot for your body and mind. Sometimes just getting past puberty solves this problem without drugs. My son had ADD but was not given any meds for it. I just interested him in things he liked so he had his concentration levels zoom up. It was truly amazing to see him concentrate on something that he liked for hours on end and yet other things he had no interest in at all.

If you stay away from meds like Ritalin you'll be doing yourself a huge favor as that is nothing more than speed in disguise and can cause more damage to the young, forming mind.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Well, EP, if you have listened to this doctor and cut out the junk food completely and any soda aspartame or regular sugar you would be much, much less hyper. Sometimes it's just something that has to work it's way out of your system by growing up. Eating sensibly and daily exercise can do a lot for your body and mind. Sometimes just getting past puberty solves this problem without drugs. My son had ADD but was not given any meds for it. I just interested him in things he liked so he had his concentration levels zoom up. It was truly amazing to see him concentrate on something that he liked for hours on end and yet other things he had no interest in at all.

If you stay away from meds like Ritalin you'll be doing yourself a huge favor as that is nothing more than speed in disguise and can cause more damage to the young, forming mind.
    I cut out high sugar and junk food. I'm well past puberty, went through it at an early age.

I used to take adderall
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2010, 01:54 PM

Sorry not to have answered before but having taken Adderall will definitely mess up your system for years after stopping taking it. Adderall is nothing more than a form of speed with a fancy name and additives.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2010, 04:22 PM

How exactly will this mess up my system
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 12, 2010, 05:31 AM

Various natural methods have been tried for ADHD, all have had success in some cases but not everything works for everyone. Here are some of them:

A natural diet with no processed foods, no artificial additives, as much fresh organic produce as possible. Avoid all trans-fats.

Eliminating all refined sugar (stevia or agave nectar are possilbe substitutes) works for some people.

Eliminating all milk and milk products works for others. Some people can tolerate goats milk but not cows milk. Some people can tolerate raw milk but not pasteurised. Some people cannot tolerate homogenised millk. Some do best on no animal milks but use soya or similar substitutes.

Lack of EFAs (essential fatty acids) seems to be a problem for some sufferers, particualrly if they have dry skin, hair etc. Especially omega 3. Flax seeds and flax seed oil are a good source of omega 3.

Other supplements which people have found helpful are vitamin C, Iron, Zinc and Magnesium.

Herbs which have been beneficial in some cases include valerian, skullcap, gingo biloba, chamomile and oatstraw. It would be best to consult a qualified herbalist on this.

I know people who have been completely cured by homoeopathy, although it can take quite some time and you would need to find a qualified homoeopath for this.

Regualar exercise has also proven beneficial in many cases.

That's a few things to think about for now, let me know if you need any more information on the above. Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 01:39 PM

Thank you for all this information!
    eyebright Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2010, 11:57 PM

The Australian Bush Flower essences have a remedy - "black eyed susan" and a few others that could be relevant depending on the situation. That might or might not work, but you would be unlikely to get any side effects.

A large part of ADD/ADHD is simply healthy energy that needs to be directed into the person's passions. Most of the time it is not really a disease of the person, but something wrong with the situation they are in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have ADHD and Medicine did not work for me [ 8 Answers ]

I have ADHD andedicine will not work for me what else can I do to calm myself down About me I am 15 year old freshman boy

Alternative medicine [ 1 Answers ]

Does rhumatol work in releiving symptoms of arthitis

Alternative Medicine [ 1 Answers ]

How and where can I purchase the product AMBROTOSE?

View more questions Search