Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrichmond06 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
    1994 Honda Civic Coupe, very steering wheel and vibrations throughout car
    My car recently started to shake about two weeks ago. At first it was not that bad, but has gotten progressively worse. When I say shake, I mean the steering wheel rotates back and forth about an eighth of a turn. There also are vibrations which can be felt and heard throughout the car. During the first couple minutes of the start of a trip, it is not that bad, but the longer and longer I am in the car the worse and worse it gets. It feels like my tires are not rotating correctly(This feeling can be felt when I brake and my car begins to slow down. The tires feel like they are getting caught up on something, the rotations are not fluent feeling. They are not actually getting caught up, it just has the feeling like they are.) I thought about this and realized that this could be being caused by a pair of warped rotors, but I have always taken care of when I get my brake pads changed. I currently have 5 month old brake pads on the car so that rules that problem out. Another thing I took into affect is that I lowered my car and put an adjustable camber kit on my car. I have had the kit on my car for about a year and half and do not think that this is the problem either.
    I do not know if this matters, but my check engine light just came on about two weeks ago also. I do not see how my check engine light would coinside with the handling of my car, but I am not 100% percent sure. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it greatly.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Several possibilities:

. Tread design. Metric and other exotic tread designs can significantly contribute to steering wheel shake. Grabby tread designs constantly pull the wheel one way and then the other, as the tire goes over the textured highway.

. Lateral run out (LRO). This is where the disc and the spindle are not exactly perpendicular to one another. It frequently comes about by having discs turned, when the car is taken in for a brake job. The disc is removed and machined to the axis on the lathe, not the car. ProCut machines avoid this inherent limitation. Do not automatically allow a mechanic to turn discs and drums--there is a price to be paid. When LRO develops, the brake pads will not contact the disc squarely and the result is steering wheel shake. Discs don't warp--they wear irregularly, due to LRO.

. CV joints. Developing problems with half-shafts and CV joints can also create problems that cause shaking.
    eddiescars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrichmond06
    My car recently started to shake about two weeks ago. At first it was not that bad, but has gotten progressively worse. When I say shake, I mean the steering wheel rotates back and forth about an eighth of a turn. There also are vibrations which can be felt and heard throughout the car. During the first couple minutes of the start of a trip, it is not that bad, but the longer and longer I am in the car the worse and worse it gets. It feels like my tires are not rotating correctly(This feeling can be felt when I brake and my car begins to slow down. The tires feel like they are getting caught up on something, the rotations are not fluent feeling. They are not actually getting caught up, it just has the feeling like they are.) I thought about this and realized that this could be being caused by a pair of warped rotors, but I have always taken care of when I get my brake pads changed. I currently have 5 month old brake pads on the car so that rules that problem out. Another thing I took into affect is that I lowered my car and put an adjustable camber kit on my car. I have had the kit on my car for about a year and half and do not think that this is the problem either.
    I do not know if this matters, but my check engine light just came on about two weeks ago also. I do not see how my check engine light would coinside with the handling of my car, but I am not 100% percent sure. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it greatly.
    Check tyres for unusual wwear flat spots, or more important BULGES especialll in tread
    Or could be just balancing... also brake discs could be distorted especially if judder felt on pedal under light braking... IMPORTANT that you get it diagnosed quickly as potentially very dangerious, could cause blow out at speed resulting in total loss of control

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 Honda Civic EX will not start [ 53 Answers ]

I am having problems with getting my 1994 Honda Civic EX to start. I am getting no spark at the spark plugs, but I am getting fuel to them. I have read through the FAQ listed in the forum on the subject. I have replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and Igniter...

Non starting 1997/8 Honda Civic Coupe [ 25 Answers ]

Hi. My son has a 1997/8 Honda Civic Coupe with a 1600 fuel injected engine. (UK spec). He recently had a light front end shunt and since then the engine will not run. The engine turns over but will not fire up. The garage that has done the bodywork have replaced the distributor with a new one,...

1994 Honda Civic No-Start [ 1 Answers ]

1994 Honda Civic,156k, No-Start Problem. Car ran great until I left it parked outside for two weeks (unusually hot weather). Now it cranks but won't turn over. I removed and inspected the main relay, joints looked okay but I replaced with new part just in case. Still no start. I can hear the fuel...

1994 honda civic 1.6 v-tech [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 honda civic th problem that I a having is my car idles at like 100 RPM's and when you rev it up to 1500 RPM's it surges and I can find anyone to help me with my problem so I hope someone here can

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search