Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 29, 2006, 03:44 PM
    What function is racism in American society?
    As a member of a minority group in the United States we are openly proud of our heritage and the work of most of our ancestors... we seek strongly to hold on to certain aspects of our cultural heritage rather than assimilate the culture of the majority... with that thought such assimilation comes with problems. I have often felt that living and working with people of different challenges as a challenge... with myself. So enter the issues of diversity in the United States... there is a richness of opportunities to learn and appreciate the differences of the many racial groups and how much we are a like. Unfortunately the existence of racism diminishes the exercise of these opportunities by introducing a production of hostility among racial groups.

Enter “racism within a society whose composition is so rapidly changing creates an environment that is socially explosive...”

“...The definition of racism is a principle of social domination by which a group seen as inferior or different in alleged biological characteristics is exploited, controlled and oppressed socially and psychically by an super ordinate group...”

So, understand the need for the question on racism is... What function is racism in American societies? How productive have racism been on the development of a American society? How have racism functions when introduced into the world communities?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 04:03 PM
    Personally I don't think racism should be a part of American society. It is part of American heritage though. What gets me, and I know this will be a thorn to some people...

Celebrating African-American month. I am polish, my family originated in Poland, why can't we have Polish American month? I do not go around telling people I am Polish-American, and I don't get upset if people do not recognize me as a Polish-American. I do not get upset if I fill out an application for Student Aid and there is not a box for Polish-Americans. Why can't we have Italian American month, or Irish American, the list could go on and on.

I understand about wanting to preserve one's heritage, and that is VERY important in each of our cultures. But America is a melting pot. If we were born here, we are Americans, plain and simple.

Now understand, that some of my BEST friends are "African-Americans" so that is not my point here. I am in no way shape or form prejudiced. It is just that the culture card was thrown so I added my 2 cents worth.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Nov 29, 2006, 04:20 PM
    I believe racism severely hinders production and development -- all prejudice does. It does so much harm beyond that its difficult to measure, really. It all stems from a "them v. us" mentality, every last prejudice does. It allows for the mistreatment of others in a spiritually sick manner that is not so far from the torture I experienced at the hands of a sociopath who nearly killed me as a kid. He didn't see me as an equal either, I assure you but it wasn't fear that motivated him. And the really sad thing is the perpetrator doesn't even see it as harm, sociopath or racist.

Prejudice is the product of an irrational fear, a fear so subjective, so personal, so embedded that it takes major acts of courage to root it out or spiritual experiences so profound to transform it in any one person-- from what I have seen. These days I fear very little except perhaps a person who would do me bodily harm but I have learned enough to know that who that might be doesn't neatly fit into any group or label of any kind. My last prejudice to fall was men, as a result of what happened to me, but I had to overcome that in order to live, fall in love and be successful at marriage and life. I still scare easily, I have ptsd-- but that doesn't make me leap to conclusions about any one group of people anywhere. I am sad to live in a world that is so full of fear and do what I can to ease it.

But I am not sure that answers your question Luna LOL Sorry if I went a little off on a tangent.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 29, 2006, 11:49 PM
    The function of racism is an effort to dominate a targeted people to keep them out of mainstream society by denial of opportunities and the tools necessary to succeed. While there may be laws against this sort of discrimination there are still ways to keep people from obtaining the Great American dream through actions that deny education, training, jobs, scare tactics and other more insidious means as unequal protection under the law, or profiling based on ethnic identity, or something a simple as having no empathy for the plight of the systematically oppressed by minimizing their oppression, a very common tactic used by racist, to further shift the blame from themselves to the ones they seek to keep down. Fear being one motivation, with prejudice coming from that fear. This fear often justifies one race mistreating another on the basis of keeping power and superiority by perceiving another as inferior. This is how America was built and thrives to this day.
    Now understand, that some of my BEST friends are "African-Americans" so that is not my point here. I am in no way shape or form prejudiced. It is just that the racism card was thrown so I added my 2 cents worth.
    Just curious as to how the racism card was played here? I took the question to be honest and thought provoking.

Nov 30, 2006, 03:16 PM
    Some of the responses are solid proof of/ or for the need to bring up the topic of racism from behind doors and into the light. It is sad to read that African American history month leaves such a insecure response.

What is wrong with African American History Month and Latin History Month and Women history month, which are in February and March (for your information)
    The celebrations of these months are a celebration of humanity cooperating with each other. I do not find these studies a hinder to human development.
    The support of this studies would leave behind actions of cruelty, suppression and repression... for the finding of some ground to fight against ignorance... this battle... this war comes with the support of the European/Caucasian race after all this bias are in support of this race.

Do the issues about racism, challenge the existence of some members of the European/Caucasian race?

I wonder rather the response is a distraction from the important issues that is keeping this nation at risk for destruction. The statement from the earlier response is something again needed to justify the insecurities and causing unnecessary challenges to a community that have limited knowledge of the other. Not all want to be bonded to servitude.
    Many participated in this guided effort to support (African American History and Latino and Women history months ) to encourage a population of the oppressed in the United States to push forward... correct the wrongs of the past. For the first reaction is proof that there is a limited association among many diversity groups.

The efforts to distract on topics are the stand that racially prejudiced and challenged socially individuals need to express to the minority population...
    What harm would the study of minority groups do to the status of racism in the Americas? The answer comes with the responses.

Pulaski was a Polish man that fought against oppression. I would not have known this fact if it were not for the celebration of African American History month... there are many martyrs of polish descent that fought against oppression. You must have forgotten already the greatest man of Polish descent/heritage... John Paul II .

Nov 30, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    This fear often justifies one race mistreating another on the basis of keeping power and superiority by perceiving another as inferior. This is how America was built and thrives to this day.
    I got news here... this is how many countries are built all over the world. And not just with racism but other terrible prejudices too. It is very hard for many white people in the US to understand what prejudice feels like because they rarely experience it and without that visceral connection, I think some of it just goes over their heads. Sometimes they are almost as bad as the racists since they tend to be in the dicey moments like the "good men doing nothing while evil prevails." But I still see racism as a produce of fear and discrimination as a product of racism that has been emboldened somehow. All I got to say is discrimination of any kind better not go down within my circle of influence or plan on getting an earful from me! I have social activist written all over me.

I can see why there isn't a Polish or German or Italian month here in the US---they simply didn't experience the cultural losses from massive and systemic harm caused by oppressive slavery, never mind the open discrimination that followed and the silent prejudices of today. What I don't understand is why there isn't a Native American month right in there with African American History Month and Latin History Month and Women History month -- there should be, guess we aren't ready to face what we did to them?

I dated men from several races including African American in my youth, and gave my stuffy family "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" fits in the process - a great movie on racial issues by the way -- and if I were single wouldn't hesitate to do so again. It's the man, not the race, who attracted me. I let this be known one day at an old workplace here in the south and it apparently got around the printing plant until one day a woman from the camera department confronted me. When she asked me to confirm it, I did so gladly and then went on to suggest it was a lovely BDSM type affair LOL just to see how long THAT would take to travel - my boss who overheard this died laughing.:eek: You should have seen her face!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Racism does not have to be done by the majority race, it is in reality the teaching of hatred because of a different race.

I have never seen it as bad in today's society ( well excpet for the KKK and the Brotherhood)

But originally being Orthodox not Catholic, and having just moved to Atlanta GA, I saw a nearby church that had the name African Orthodox, so I thought great, a local Orthodox Church which I figured was part of the Ethopian Orthodox from which I had part of my lines of Succession.

Well we go in and their priest is wearing a shirt with a white collar, so OK,

Well what I missed in the small print is that this is the Church of the Black Madonia, they teach that all white people are born of Satan, and that the real black Jesus is coming back to save pure race black people from the white satans.

And that on good black will have any dealings with any whites and that they must fight against the white oppression of their race.

So they certainly have and teach a rasism that will continue to eat at our nation.( US) and I wish to say this was a small group, but they are a larger national group.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 05:19 PM
    I apologize if I came on too strong. Let me put it a little milder.

I live very close to a very culturally diverse city. Memphis, Tennessee. Martin Luther King died here. I am happy that we celbrate African-American history month. It is part of the heritage that founded our country. However, so are the English, the French, the Germans, etc... We have all had our hardships. Not so much as the African-Americans, but we all have.

I have 3 beautiful and wonderful bi-racial nieces. I would not trade them for the world. Oh, yeah, and a new fabulous brother-in-law, as of this morning.

My thoughts are that this country was founded on all of the different cultures of the world, we should celebrate ALL of the cultures.

Again, I came on a little strong, and I apologize for that, but
    It kind of hits a nerve with me sometimes, for one reason I cannot qualify for a scholarship because I am Polish-American, however, I could if I were African-American.

Racism has NO place in society today. I see it daily here in my small rural town and I flinch every time something is said or done that is racist. I am truly disgusted by the people who think it they are better than others because they are "white." It is a disgrace to caucasian race to believe that one is better than the other. We are all flesh and blood, our organs are all in the same place, we are all human. That is what life is truly about, humanity, not racism.

Again, I apologize for my ranting earlier in this thread.

Nov 30, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Well racism can be a fine line too. And it doesn't necessarily result in rampant discrimination. Its only that when the majority are racists and they feel so empowered by their numbers. Any of it is wrong though.

But I will always somehow feel a particular feeling for all jews as a result of the holocaust, blacks for the slavery/discrimination, the japenese for the bombs and native americans for holy cow, wiping them out. I failed to get into a college because of the quotas for race that affirmitive action set up but I hold no beef to that whatsoever. I am not sure they think affirmative action works in the face of so much discrimination, but the thing is you can't legislate morality. Its just a shame we live so fear based. I would wish for every racist an African American doctor who saves their terminally ill child and for every arrogant Evangelical a gay fireman saving their house burning down, and for every Muslim terrorist-wannabee a whole American town embracing them as welcomed immigrants and on and on and on. That is my Christmas wish this year.

Nov 30, 2006, 06:11 PM
    As the days come forth an old saying we all shall over come some day and this date should encourage...

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim November 2006 as National American Indian Heritage Month. I call upon all Americans to commemorate this month with appropriate programs and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirtieth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-first.

GEORGE W. BUSH

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...061030-16.html
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
    This has to be one of the saddest topics in America, or perhaps the world and I don't know if a happy ending will ever be realized.

I feel for all of those who have been treated unfairly because of the color of their skin or origin. Will we ever get it right?

Oh and Val, I had to spread the rep... but way to go again!!

Nov 30, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Racism is something of a tricky thing and subtle on some levels too. To some people its just so ingrained its invisible to them. I live in a somewhat segregated town (and don't like that) and the AA here is mostly all white (and I don't like that either) and it just so happened that a black guy and I really hit it off. He has the same kind of recovery I do and so we became fast friends. One day he was helping me set up a meeting. Being a tall, strong guy I made some remark it about how nice his very helpful help was (he was setting up like five chairs to my one LOL). So to cut up about it, he mimicked like some big overgrown monkey for a moment and I called him McGilla Gorilla. We both cracked up as the rest of the room went dead silent, which we both noticed. And so then he said grinning at just me, are you sure that wasn't racist? And so I said totally deadpan no, if I meant it to be racist, I would have called you King Kong. And we cracked up some more. But I can tell you the room wasn't right for a while afterwards and we both noticed that. If you can't talk about it, especially between friends, then something is wrong.

Added later: just to be certain this is understood, here is some context. My friend happens to be one of the best looking men, black or any other color, I have ever met and gauging by his occasionally slightly flirtacious manner he knows this a bit too... so that was a part of it.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 9, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS

“...The definition of racism is a principle of social domination by which a group seen as inferior or different in alleged biological characteristics is exploited, controlled and oppressed socially and psychically by an super ordinate group...”

So, understand the need for the question on racism is ...What function is racism....

Discrimination isn't just by the super-ordinate groups against others. A certain prominent minority group in the USA, which I will leave nameless, also targets foreigners and other minority groups because they are viewed as competitors for housing and federal benefits. So any discriminatory harm done to the members of these groups is justified as self defense. In this way discrimination is used in an efdfort to keep certain people in their perceived proper place which invariably turns out to be an inferior one.

Neither is racism, which I consider a misnomer, solely based on biological traits. Having the wrong surname can provoke discriminatory treatment regardless of physical appearances.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 09:09 PM
    Anytime one uses devices like racism, its purpose is, of course to prop ones self up.

I am white. Grew up with friends who were black, laotian, but mostly white in an older neighborhood with a some range of ethnic backgrounds.

It was not until I went to college, in a "semi rural" area out of state that I won't mention, that I really was exposed to harsh bigotry. It wasn't in your face racism. It was behind closed doors. Two or three guys, who were pretty decent otherwise, would throw around racial slurs on occasion. No "white power" noise here, but still... a clear resentment toward minorities.

I came, in later years, to understand what poison this is. I remember the first time in traffic I was cutoff by a minority and my mind, not my mouth, brought forward one of those awful slurs. It was like a reflex. One I had never had before and I was ashamed of. It's the first time I understood how one could become so indoctrined in hate.

I'm not always in agreement with how... *sigh.. I have to say it*... the "race card" is sometimes thrown around. There are times when I think honest mistakes are made into something bigger because of differences in race. We can't even have a discussion of perceptions without walking on eggshells sometimes.

That aside, I have heard my daughter (half italian, half el salvadorian) called a "dirty mexican". How I didn't go to jail that night is a mystery... well, I wasn't there when it was said, otherwise id probably have beed arrested for hurting a punk.

My daughter has dated white, black, hispanic, and asian. Each man has been assessed never by his skin. All are welcome in my house. Thankfully, the years I grew up in that mixed neighborhood quickly wipe out any other noise I was exposed to along the way. But, again, and this is my point I guess... it is scarey how easily we can find "comfort" in dividing ourselves into "likes" and "unlikes" to simply boost our self esteem. Its just twisted.

Dec 9, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    It is scarey how easily we can find "comfort" in dividing ourselves into "likes" and "unlikes" to simply boost our self esteem. its just twisted.
    I totally agree with this point-- its all about how you view others when you don't see them as inherently equal to you in some way. We are all different from each other, that's plain enough, but the one thing that will ruin this "party" faster than anything I know is for someone to think they are somehow more priviledged than another. Racism starts with that sort of thinking and lurks behind closed doors into it builds into open discrimination when its empowered by numbers of people. It is why any given majority of people-- be it in politics, economics, religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc, -- should be ever mindful of co-authoring racism accidentally. The minority voice must always be heard and the collective solutions we implement need to include their concerns, always. Power should never be used for subjegation, or its not your power for long, history tells us. LOL
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 11:08 PM
    I am not prejudiced against any race or nationality of people but I am prejudiced against some of the actions of all people, especially the one that use their race to overload the systems set up in this country to help the poor and disadvantaged. There are lots of things that white people do that I don't like the same goes with Blacks, Asians, Mexicans and all other races but it has nothing to do with their race but just their attitudes and actions. I am white and I am not going to say that I have many black friends or mexican friends but I do have lots of friends that just happen to be a different color than I am.
    -

Dec 10, 2006, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I am not prejudiced against any race or nationality of people but I am prejudiced against some of the actions of all people, especially the one that use their race to overload the systems set up in this country to help the poor and disadvantaged. There are lots of things that white people do that I don't like the same goes with Blacks, Asians, Mexicans and all other races but it has nothing to do with their race but just their attitudes and actions. I am white and I am not going to say that I have many black friends or mexican friends but I do have lots of friends that just happen to be a different color than I am.

I have to agree with you 100% on this. It's not the color, nationality, race, or any other
    Difference that causes an aversion toward certain people. It's the behavior. But it works in both directions you know. If the behavior is cruel via discrimination--for example, those discriminated against will inevitably begin to prejudge anyone who is of the discriminating group's appearance.

In short, prejudgedment will be based on prior negative experiences with that type of physical appearing or group or person. That's natural. If I land on Mars and most of the blue skinned Martians pelt me with rocks then the next one I see will be either given a very wide berth or else kept at a safer distance. Especially if I am pelted whenever they ask me where I am from and I say from Earth. Then the question will begin to seem like a prelude to attack. In the process the well-meaning Martians might be included in my evasive maneuvers. Undeserved, I know, but I am given little choice.

However, that's different from trying to deprive someone of his human rights based on those experiences. If we trample people into the ground when we are in the position to do so based on the above criteria -- that's where the evil comes into the picture.

Unfortunately, here in the USA a significant percentage of the population considers the systematic trampling of certain others a patriotic duty. But it's especially painful when one sees members of a minority group that has itself been subjected to the same trampling dishing it out to others. Now that really is ironic!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I have to agree with you 100% on this. It's not the color, nationality, race, or any other
    difference that causes an aversion toward certain people. It's the behavior. But it works in both directions you know. If the behavior is cruel via discrimination--for example, those discriminated against will inevitably begin to prejudge anyone who is of the discriminating group's appearance.

In short, prejudgedment will be based on prior negative experiences with that type of physical appearing or group or person. That's natural. If I land on Mars and most of the blue skinned Martians pelt me with rocks then the next one I see will be either given a very wide berth or else kept at a safer distance. Especially if I am pelted whenever they ask me where I am from and I say from Earth. Then the question will begin to seem like a prelude to attack. In the process the well-meaning Martians might be included in my evasive maneuvers. Undeserved, I know, but I am given little choice.

However, that's different from trying to deprive someone of his human rights based on those experiences. If we trample people into the ground when we are in the position to do so based on the above criteria -- that's where the evil comes into the picture.

Unfortunately, here in the USA a significant percentage of the population considers the systematic trampling of certain others a patriotic duty. But it's especially painful when one sees members of a minority group that has itself been subjected to the same trampling dishing it out to others. Now that really is ironic!
    If people are pelting me with rocks I am going to try my best to keep them from hitting me it doesn't matter if they are blue or any other color. But in some cases I know of the people being pelted as in your quote above, would not mind being pelted if the people doing the pelting are of the same color as they are. An example is the N-word. If I, and me being white, say that to a black person the black person is going to call me prejudiced and say that I am a racist but you let Cris Rock, a black person, say the same things and add some of his little colorful words with the N-word and the majority of the blacks think he is funny and is one of their heroes. To me that is confusing, it makes me think that maybe it is not the word that is being said but the people that say it that makes others mad. Please if you can help me understand this maybe I can understand why the N-word is such a terrible thing.
    -

Dec 10, 2006, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    If people are pelting me with rocks I am going to try my best to keep them from hitting me it doesn't matter if they are blue or any other color. But in some cases I know of the people being pelted as in your quote above, would not mind being pelted if the people doing the pelting are of the same color as they are. An example is the N-word. If I, and me being white, say that to a black person the black person is going to call me prejudiced and say that I am a racist but you let Cris Rock, a black person, say the same things and add some of his little colorful words with the N-word and the majority of the blacks think he is funny and is one of their heros. To me that is confusing, it makes me think that maybe it is not the word that is being said but the people that say it that makes others mad. Please if you can help me understand this maybe I can understand why the N-word is such a terrible thing.

They don't consider the usage of the N word when they banter among themselves in a friendly way as getting pelted. So I agree that it isn't the word itself that is being condemned. It is the non-black person who dares to use it who is being condemned.
    But I can understand why. Coming from another black person there is no suspicion that the word is being used in a racially degrading manner. But coming from anyone else they can never be sure--so a possible attempt at pelting is suspected.

Should black Americans continue using it among themselves? Perhaps not since it gives some, such as yourself, the impression that the word isn't as offensive as they claim it is.

BTW
    I really don't know who Chris Rock is. However, I did read about this Jewish comedian who was interrupted during his act and who used the N word in anger in an effort to get even for what he perceived as disrespect.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
    To me the N word is a nasty nasty word. I used to be confused about why the black community would use it themselves. However, as I kept my ears opened, I realized that it is kind of similar to me being upset at my sister, and saying something not so nice about her, but yet, I know I lover her, however, let an outsider say the same thing, and boy, I am not happy, their negative words about her, would dig very deeply in me.

Starman, I do agree with you as far as the black community, when they use it, amongst themesleves, they know in most cases, is not meant to degrade. Should they discontinue using? I believe that is their choice and to me, is not authorization and does not make okay for others to use. Just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand? [ 9 Answers ]

Help Please! A few months ago my husband and I began trying to conceive. My cycle were always pretty normal before about 28-32 days. Now all of a sudden since we have been having unprotected sex they have completely flipped. They are only 20 days apart and not normal. Before I would start heavy and...

I understand, but what do I do now? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, sorry if this is a bit lengthy... Well, my girlfriend had just broken up with me after about 6 months. We fell in love with each other from almost day 1. We connected strongly on every level, we were both very attracted to each other physically, connected amazingly on an emotional level...

Just don't understand [ 2 Answers ]

I am an independent 22 yr old male college student who goes to school full-time. I also work two jobs and between them make over $20,000/yr. I have done this for the last year and a half. Now my question is, even though I have have extra money taken out of every paycheck, my state and federal...

Don't understand problem [ 1 Answers ]

I don't understand how to complete this problem: Find the minimum diameter of an 17.3 m long tungsten wire that will stretch no more than 9.43 mm when a load of 361 kg is hung on the lower end.

Need to understand [ 2 Answers ]

Of course if I was you I would ask why wouldn't I be able to go. Wait until she gives a reply. There could be a side to her that she doesn't want you to see! ::) There could be another male friend she's seeing. Don't get your hopes down she may just want to hang with the girls! After all it is...

View more questions Search