Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smishy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Dimmer switch hot
    We recently changed over fluorescent lighting to track lighting with a dimmer switch. Recently I noticed that there was a bit of a blue spark when we turned the switch off and the switch itself was warm. What would the problem here be?:confused:
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
    How many light fixtures do you have attacted to your tracks and what wattage bulbs?
    smishy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 03:42 PM
    There are a total of 9 bulbs (60w each). The dimmer switch we bought is the correct one for the amount of lights we have running from it - are all dimmer switches hot or should we try a new one?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Yes all dimmers are hot and designed to disipate the heat through the front aluminum plate on all dimmers. The heat is usually mentioned in the manual.

This heat is mentioned because if dimmers are "ganged" along with other dimmers, extra steps are needed to be taken, such as derating the dimmer rating.

Can you find yours at the manufacturers website to confirm this?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Probably 600 Watt dimmer, 9 X 60 = 540 Watts, one more bulb, and you would be at limit, you could reduce bulbs to 52 watts
    (X 9 = 468 Watts).
    Or you could use higher wattage Dimmer. Should be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

Fan and dimmer switch problem [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a bathroom extractor fan which works from a dimmer switch also wired to a light? When the light is on dim, the fan does not come on, but when it is up full, the fan switches in. This is great at night when you visit the loo and don't want to wake your partner with a bright light...

View more questions Search