Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:05 AM
    State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), the fierce opponent of gay rights comes out
    State Sen. Roy Ashburn (R-Calif.), the fierce opponent of gay rights who was arrested last week for drunk driving after leaving a gay nightclub, confirmed in a radio interview Monday that he is gay.

"Ashburn, who is divorced, claimed his crusade against proposed gay-rights laws in the California statehouse stemmed from his desire to vote the way his constituents wanted."

Real story: Like many closeted homosexuals in government that we recently saw come out of the woodworks, he figured the more anti-gay you act, the less people will think you're gay.

I'm beginning to think that all anti-gay Republican candidates are, in fact, gay.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but when you deny it and take the "superior morale high ground" against it, that's complete hypocrisy.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:09 AM

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but when you deny it and take the "superior morale high ground" against it, that's complete hypocrisy.
    Yup... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    yup ... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.
    Where is "Kalifornia"?
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:24 AM

Urban Dictionary: kalifornia
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:30 AM
    That makes no sense whatsoever. I'm surprised you frequent Urban Dictionarry. I didn't think it fit with your religious leanings. Hey maybe you're this? Urban Dictionary: teabagging I'm sure Roy was into it. :D
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:35 AM

Making fun of gays again ?
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 08:42 AM
    No, you can keep on teabagging, sorry for the disruption.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 10:29 AM
    yup ... in Kalifornia you would think being gay would be a political plus.
    Hello tom:

It could even be a plus in NY? Isn't that where YOU live? Aren't you a virulent anti gay sort?

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 10:38 AM

I am not anti-gay at all.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 10:42 AM
    I am not anti-gay at all.
    Hello again, tom:

Funny. I seem to remember your being a foe of gay people getting married. If that's NOT anti gay, I don't know what is.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 12:23 PM

I oppposed the Equal Rights Amendment too. Did that make me anti-women ?

Well here's a clue . If I was in Ashburn's district ,knowing his orientation I would have voted for him .The shocking part isn’t that he’s gay, it’s that he actually votes the way his constituents want him to .
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
    Ya, that's something nasty to be opposed to. :rolleyes:

Did the senator poll his constituents?
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 01:12 PM

There was no need for it nor is there a separate equal rights amendment needed for every special interest group.
    The fact is that not only did it fail nationally ;but also attempts to get states to encorporate it into their constitutions also failed .
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2010, 01:47 PM
    Hello again, tom:

Uhhhh, yeah! Certainly, if you don't believe they should get the same pay for the same work. THAT'S what the Equal Rights Amendment was about.

And, clearly you're anti-gay if you don't believe they should have the same rights you do.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 04:33 PM

I don't want to rehash the gay marrriage issue . Mine and your position has not changed. So for reasons previously stated I don't think gay marriage is an equal rights issue.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Uhhhh, yeah! Certainly, if you don't believe they should get the same pay for the same work. THAT'S what the Equal Rights Amendment was about.

And, clearly you're anti-gay if you don't believe they should have the same rights you do.

excon
    Since you brought it up. What is equal work forequal pay really mean to you? Ive seen so many distortions Im just curious how you define it ?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Since you brought it up. What is equal work forequal pay really mean to you? Ive seen so many distortions Im just curious how you define it ?
    Hi

This sort of thing is an issue that has been debated in many places for many years. It means that where persons of either gender are employed doing the same work they should be paid at the same rate for completing those tasks. This does not prevent an employer from paying a premium for additional qualifications where a person can add value to the task

What it doesn't mean is that on every occasion for every task the rate of pay of a male or female will be the same. Eg; professional functions can have different rates applied where there is an obvious difference in qualification and experience

What I have seen done is that there is a base rate for a task or classification and there are increments for a number of years experience or an additional qualification so that a male or female at entry level would be paid at the same rate, etc
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2010, 04:35 AM

Did the senator poll his constituents?
    The Senator said his votes"reflect the wishes of the people in my district."He has been a State Sen since 2002. Evidently the people of his district were happy with his votes.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 12:48 PM

Ashburn is just a typical politician talking out of both sides of his mouth saying anything and doing anything to get elected or reelected. Washington is full of such people. Do one thing, say another, and deny everything.

NK, don't they have such swell politicians up there in Canada who do just the same thing? Bet they are up there in office. They are everywhere - not just in the USA.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

Except he is a state Senator

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does calif. Law allow soldiers who are deployed assign their visitation rights to fam [ 2 Answers ]

Son is in basic training. Gdaughters mom verbally agreed to visitation and has never done so. Can my son assign his visitation.

Boxing, choosing next opponent [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16 years old. I take up boxing. I have been taking up boxing for almost 3 years now. From wins-loses-draws my boxing record is 28-3-1 with 22 being KO wins. I have a decision to make soon on my next opponent who will be on Saturday July 11. One choice I have is one that has a record of...

Can lawyer represent himself and a client against same opponent for same issue? [ 3 Answers ]

Or would it be a conflict of interest? The lawyer could negotiate a better deal for himself in exchange for a lousier deal for the client, couldn't he? Is this conflict of interest or another terminology?

Gay rights [ 4 Answers ]

My partner and I are moving from Indiana to Iowa. We had a domestic partnership agreement and wills made out here in Indiana. When we move to Iowa will we have to have these redone in Iowa?

View more questions Search