Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    singledaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
    I am a father of a ten (10) years old. His mother fell on hard times in Jan. of 2009.
    I am a father of a ten (10) years old. His mother fell on hard times in Jan. of 2009. I bailed her out jail in the same month and I have had my son every since. She has since moved out of state with no contact. She has also claimed him on her taxes this year with no right to since I've had him since Jan. 2009. I need to find out what steps I need to take in order to have sole custody. I have already had a D.N.A. test done, but do not know what to do next. Oh, by the way, I am in Georgia.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by singledaddy View Post
    I am a father of a ten (10) years old. His mother fell on hard times in Jan. of 2009. I bailed her out jail in the same month and I have had my son every since. She has since moved out of state with no contact. She has also claimed him on her taxes this year with no right to since I've had him since Jan. 2009. I need to find out what steps I need to take in order to have sole custody. I have already had a D.N.A. test done, but do not know what to do next. Oh, by the way, I am in Georgia.
    Technically, if she showed up at your doorstep right now and demanded the child, you would be required to give him over to her care. You haven't filed to change physical custody/placement of the child, so she is still legally his custodial parent.

You said that a DNA test was performed - was it done through the courts? If not, it needs to be in order for it to be legal. Are you listed on the birth certificate? Is there a current support and custody order?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 03:22 PM

You go into court and file for it. It's that simple. You will also somehow find the mom or have to have her served by public notice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 07:02 PM

Actually if you don't have legal custody, and she still has legal custody, she may still have a right to claim the child, but that is another issue for the tax forum.

Right now if you have not went to court and changed the court order to get custody of the child then you have no real rights until this is done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My last period was dec.29 2009 and I have not seen one since then it's jan. 29, 2010 [ 2 Answers ]

My last period was dec.29 2009 and I have not seen one since then it's jan. 29, 2010 the other day I experienced a pain in my lower stomach so painful I was almost in tears I sometime feel like I have to vomit but it never comes also I have muscle pains all over my body am I pregnant?

Came to US in Jan 2009 do I need to pay tax in India for Jan,feb,mar 09 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I came to US on H1B visa on 12Jan 09 and started getting US salary before that my company pays me indian salary. Now when I am filing returns in India do I need to pay tax on US earned salary(Jan,feb,mar 09) . If so then I can claims the returns when I file in Dec 09 in US ( if I stay...

Joint or Single - Married in Jan 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F-1 from August 2006 to June 13 2008, and H-1 after that. I clear the SPT and would be required to file a dual-status tax return. However, I got married on January 18 2009 and my wife has been on F-1 from August 2005. I was wondering if there is a way to do a joint claim as the returns...

F1 status, got married in Dec 2008, Wife came with me in jan 2009 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am in US on F1 student visa from the last 3 years. I went to india in November and got married in December 2008. Then I came back along with my wife in jan 2009. Now I am planning ti file tax return for 2008. I have few questions. 1. Can I claim benefit for my wife and file as MFJ. As...

Can my mother sue my father for 18 years of child support? [ 12 Answers ]

I had just found my father after 19 years . When I was born my mother asked him if he wanted to hold her son and he said I wasn't his but held me anyway. Then my mother moved from Texas (where I was born) to Illinois, where I lived my entire life not knowing who he was. My mother lookied for him...

View more questions Search