Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laxin600 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Can I deduct the cost of an addition on my home if half my home is rented?
    I have a roommate who shares half my house equally. I claim his rent as income and have for the past two years. If I decide to put a small addition on my home to add a second bathroom, can I deduct this expenses since I am renting half my home. If I can, how much of the expense can I deduct in this years' taxes? 100% or 50%.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 12:43 PM

Rent income is reported on schedule E (Form 1040). Additions and improvements are capital expense. For rented portion, you MUST take depreciation every year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am buying a home and it is currently being rented. [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a home that is currently being rented. What do I have to do to let the renter know that he needs to move out asap. We need to get in and get to work on it. I want to give him time to get his things but he has been out of town for a month now. We do not know how to get ahold of him to...

Rented home in foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I live in my home for two years and it's a lic. Facilty I received forcloser paper that the house will be sold in two weeks I am current on my lease.what do I do I can't move the facilty that will forfit my lic, what are my rights

I rented a home under foreclouser what are my rights [ 4 Answers ]

I rented a home in Florida from a ownner, who is also a realestate agent. She has told me several times this home is safe from any financial trouble. This turn out to be a complete lie.she has gotten from me , over 8.000.00 in the last three months . What are my rights to stay in the home...

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

View more questions Search