Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 04:53 AM
    What causes a motor start/run capacitor to continue to fail?
    The blower motor on my furnace would not start, it hummed. I tried to spin it to get it going but the motor was locked up (electrically, with no power it spins free). I heard that if you have a bad capacitor you can get the fan going with a spin - this is not the case here, as I said the motor seems to be electrically braking. I replaced the capacitor (not sure if it is a run or start) and the motor started. It ran for a couple days then quit again. I replaced the capacitor again and for another three days it seemed OK.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2010, 07:09 PM
    When a motor fails, it often makes the capacitor fail as well. Can you do an amperage check on the motor when it is running?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Goodman blower motor will start when hand spun. Capacitor? [ 4 Answers ]

I posted before about my air handler not kicking on. I crawled up to the attic. I found that if I spin the blower motor once by hand, the unit will run normally until it is turned off. Then, it won't start as before. Is this the capacitor on the side of the blower? It is a Goodman heat pump...

AC motor control on PSC with run capacitor [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know what type of rheostat will slow a PSC motor with a run capacitor. It is a gear motor that final turn is 86rpm, but I don't know what the initial speed is. It is 110 volt and 2.1 amp. 60Hz When I hooked up a speed control I purchased on eBay, (and their ad stated that it would...

Capacitor start blower motor for Whirlpool dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool drye. The blower motor has a capacitor that went bad. Does anybody know if whirlpool puts the same blower motor in other dryers? Or would mI have order a new capacitor?

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

View more questions Search