Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fosterman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 02:36 PM
    401K loan
    If we use our 401K to purchase a primary residence, do we still have to pay income taxes at the normal tax Rate? It is not our first residence, but we want to pay for it, as it is a foreclosure and we can get a good price paying cash.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 02:43 PM

If you merely borrow money from your 401 K, ( you have to pay it back of course) there is no tax penalty on it and it does not effect your income tax
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 07:07 AM

Fr_Chuck points out why taking a loan from your 401(k) is generally a better idea than taking a withdrawal. There are other advatages as well - such as the interest you pay on the loan is paid to yourself, and by continuing to make payments ultimately your 401(k) account will continue to grow, so you stay on track towards your retirement planning goal.

But to answer your question - if you take a withdrawal you will have to pay ordinary income tax on it (both federal and state/local if applicable where you live), PLUS the 10% early withdrawal penalty if you are under age 59-1/2. They will withhold 20% for income tax from the withdrawal amount, but this is just withholding - whether more or less is actually due is dependent on your tax bracket. The withdrawal may push you to a higher tax bracket than you are normally in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

Loan for my 401k [ 1 Answers ]

How and what do I do to get a 401k loan

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Loan against 401K [ 1 Answers ]

My 401K is still with :confused: my employer for one year and a day after my resignation. How can I obtain a small loan (3K). The year is almost up but I need the cash now!:confused:

401k loan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm leaving the firm with 140m in my 401k plan. I want to move the funds into another 401k plan or IRA. I plan on buying a house soon, and would need to borrow from the plan. What will give me the most flexibilities as far as penalties and restrictions goes. Is it possible to move my funds to a...

View more questions Search