Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarrietHomeowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 01:32 PM
    Broken cross bars on tub drain
    We're in the process of trying to remove the drain plug from our tub and, after buying the dumbbell wrench and breaking the crossbars, we're now going to buy the internal wrench and (for good measure) a hacksaw blade. I'd appreciate any answers on the following questions, please:

1 - If this internal wrench doesn't turn this infernal plug, where exactly on the plug do we cut a "v" with the hacksaw? Please be as explicit as possible because cutting into the tub is a problem we just don't need right now. Where does the actual tub end in relation to the plug - is the lip of this plug the only part that is actually on the bottom of the tub and does the plug itself actually hang down from the hole in the bottom of the tub? And do we have to replace the whole tub shoe if we mess up the threads with the hack saw?

2 - Just because I really want to know: Why in the world do companies manufacture drain plugs with crossbars made of what? -- brass, copper or maybe even aluminum or cardboard, for heaven's sake -- when it would be sooooooo much easier to brace the dumbbell wrench against a crossbar made of a solid piece of metal and unscrew the plug? This way, this simple repair could be accomplished in a fraction of the time it takes so many people to do it because they wouldn't be spending all their time running back and forth getting more tools - all because the stupid crossbars broke. Surely the manufacturers of these drain plugs know there's no easy way to unscrew them!

Thanks in advance for any information/help.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:02 PM

There is a diagram of the system here in post #3: Tub shoe washer/gasket

The "V-cut" will destroy the "tub shoe plug" http://www.azpartsmaster.com/images/...ishop/5830.jpg

The "V-cut" would be perpendicular to the threads above.

With nothing to grip and the flanged end, I doubt the method will be successful. That method is usually reserved for removing the pipe in the shower head.

The inside pipe wrench may work.

I cut one off from the bottom a couple of years ago and it wasn't fun.

There was at least one thread here that discussed some of the methods. The reciprocating saw being the most useful. You do need to protect the bottom of the tub with something while sawing. Once you create a groove with a hand saw (safer), the reciprocating saw should cut through it like butter.

You may need two people to remove.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:56 PM

The tool I use is a hack saw wraped with a rag and I also wear a glove.
    The two cuts I make are side by side cuts straight up and down on the inside of the part going through the tub. These two cuts should be about 3/16 to 1/4 in depth. Then on the flat part of the flange I make two cuts in a straight line from the two cuts going down. Don't make it is a V cut but make it look like this l l the same width apart as those going down and int line with the ones goine down. Saw this deep enough to meet the two cuts on the inside but bevel the saw blade up from the finish of the tub so you don't mark it. After you think you hafe the cut deep enouth use a thin screwdriver and put the blade in the slot you cut a pry up, once you cradk where yoy cut you can twist the part out. If it does not crack easy saw a little deeper.

Let me know how this works for you, if you use it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to take bathtub drain out that dose not have the cross [ 0 Answers ]

I have an old tub with a drain that dose not have a cross drain. How do I get it out "the tub"

Run water in tub drains. Fill tub does not drain [ 3 Answers ]

Run water in tub drains. Fill tub does not drain use snake but its still the same

Tub drain - darining slow, stopper lever broken off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a rental w/ a non-responsive landlord and need to fix my bathtub drain. It used to drain fine until one day when I cleaned it w/ ajax. I may have bumped the cover where the drain stop lever is supposed to be; it is broken off. (it could be simply soap scum down the drain, but the...

Tub drain in concert is too low for new spa tub [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, I am installing a whirlpool tub and it appears that the drain is about 1/2 inch too low. The drain is set in concrete. Is there any type of extension that can be put on the drain? Any suggestions? Thanks, Ed

Slow Tub Drain; Draining Sink Overflows Tub [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm looking for advice about some bathroom plumbing issues. We live on the ground floor of a condo building that has a cement slab. The tub in our bathroom has an extremely slow drain (ankles submerged during a shower). We've tried to snake the tub drain both through the drain and by...

View more questions Search