Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdesantis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Adjusting an existing drain level.
    I want to ceramic tile an existing concrete shower floor and need to know how to raise the drain in order to be even with the new floor?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2010, 11:28 AM

What material is the drain and raiser. A lead and oakum joint can be raised without too much trouble. A plastic drain would have to have the cement floor opened up and the old drain cut out, the raiser extended and a new drain installed.
    I much easier solution would be to keep the old drain in place and use beveled tile around it.
    Good luck, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:31 AM
    If your shower has a double seepage floor drain the top part can be screwed up or down an inch or so. If you are removing the old tile it will be very easy for you to see if you have the double seepage drain. If you are not replacing all of the old floor you may have to break out a couple of inches around the drain to raise it up. Here are some images of a double seepage drain.

Find Tub & Shower Drains and other Shower & Bath Repair at Aubuchon Hardware

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New vanity drain pipe is not the same height as existing drain [ 4 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bath. My wife bought a new vanity cabinet that came pre-plumbed with sinks in the counter top, faucets, drains, traps and piping. The existing bath drain stubs from the wall are 18" from the floor. The new vanity has drain piping 24" from the floor (could be adjusted to 22"...

Neo-Angle Shower drain doesn't fit over existing drain [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to have a neo-angle shower in the 2nd bathroom in the house we are building, but the drain was not put in for this shape of shower. Is there a way to still put in the neo-angle shower and somehow adjust the drain over many inches?

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Level existing 12'x16' ground deck [ 2 Answers ]

We are a military family living on a military post, and as such, temporary outbuildings like sheds and decks are moved from one family's quarters to anothers, as we are unable to take them with us when we move every 2-3 years due to weight and size restrictions. Our next door neighbors built...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

View more questions Search