Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justincarnecchia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Wiring 230v welder has 2 wires and ground which one is hot? Both are same coloc
    Just bought older welder. Instead of plug it has two black wires and a post for the ground. Welder requires 230v 60hz single phase. I have a standard 220 outlet
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2010, 07:03 PM

They both are. Welders may not have a neutral connection.

You have 2 hots and a ground. Each hot is 180 deg out of phase and will measure 120 V with respect to ground/neutral. They will measure 240 with respect to each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Chicago Electric Dual Mig welder. I wired a #10 outlet and have power to the machine, but it does not turn on. Was wondering if they run off two hots and a ground, which I have wired, and have 110 on each side of the plug. Is this correct?

Wiring a welder [ 3 Answers ]

I have a quick question about hooking up a welder. Lincoln 225/125 AC DC with a 3-prong plug. I am using 8-3wire, can I use the white wire as my ground in the panel and can I also use the bare wire connected to an anchor screw in the plug to the same ground connection in my panel? Thanks, Dale

230 volt welder with 2 wires outlet with 3 wires. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I have an older stick welder that has a ground, white wire and black wire. The outlet I have to connect to has a ground, black, white and red wire. Is there a way I can connect the old welder to the newer wires? I know the red and black are hot but what about the common white wire? What...

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

Wiring Ceiling Fan with Two Ground Wires [ 6 Answers ]

Trying to install a ceiling fan... From ceiling: white, black, green and copper wire From fan: white, black, blue and green Connected white.white, black & blue to black... QUESTION: Do I connect green from fan to green in junction box, or to green and copper in junction box? If...

View more questions Search