Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skypower Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 06:23 AM
    Connecting woofer to TV
    Hi there, I want to make a simple question. I have an LG TV and I want to connect a woofer (Yamaha YST-FSW150) to it for bass. Is it possible?

Please give me a simple answer. I have asked this many times but got no clear answer. Thanks in advance.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Mar 5, 2010, 11:03 PM

If you tell us the model of your TV, you might get a more relevant answer.

Daniel
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2010, 04:19 PM

Most likely no. I have not seen any TV with a subwoofer connection. If my memory serves me correctly, that subwoofer does not have any speaker wire connections to connect it passively either (and I highly doubt there is even an LG TV out there with an amp built in for external speakers).

You would have to get an a/v receiver to use that subwoofer. You could keep the TV speakers on and use the amp just to send a signal to the subwoofer, but chances are the bass will not be timed correctly with the TV speakers. In which case you would be better off purchasing some speakers for the receiver.

Mar 6, 2010, 05:05 PM

I don't agree with FadedMaster - if you plug an active subwoofer, with its inherent bandpass frequency response, into a full-range analogue audio output from a TV, it will reproduce just the bass frequencies it's capable of reproducing.

You might want to parallel the L and R audio signals (with a 'Y' adapter) before sending to the sub-woofer.

Daniel

Mar 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    I don't agree with FadedMaster - if you plug an active subwoofer, with its inherent bandpass frequency response, into a full-range analogue audio output from a TV, it will reproduce just the bass frequencies it's capable of reproducing.

You might want to parallel the L and R audio signals (with a 'Y' adapter) before sending to the sub-woofer.

Daniel
    I am a bit confused. Where will the female go?

Mar 7, 2010, 12:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skypower View Post
    I am a bit confused. Where will the female go?
    Did you read my original post (#2)?

Daniel

Mar 7, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Did you read my original post (#2)?

Daniel
    Hmm yes you mean that I connect L & R to TV and I connect the female part to the cable tha connects woofer and TV normally? :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:19 AM

Daniel
    Good point. I hadn't thought about doing that. That would probably work then. Assuming of course the OP's TV has analog out.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:22 AM
    Hmm yes you mean that I connect L & R to tv and I connect the female part to the cable tha connects woofer and tv normally? :)
    Amazon.com: RCA Y Adapter 2 Male To 1 Female: Electronics

So that would connect to the analog audio out on the TV, then run a standard RCA from the female end of that to the subwoofer.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 06:23 AM
    Hmm yes you mean that I connect L & R to tv and I connect the female part to the cable tha connects woofer and tv normally? :)
    He was talking about his first reply. It helps to post more information like the model of your TV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between a car sub woofer and home speaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a 10'' speaker(no box) for my old Utah home speakers?

Hooking up sub woofer to Panasonic VSX-305 Home Theatre System [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sub woofer that came with our Panasonic VSX-305 Home Theatre System when the back of the receiver that came with it does not show a place to plug it into? This is becoming very frustrating as the manual shows a diagram for the VSX-405 which has a plug...

Home Theater SUb-Woofer [ 1 Answers ]

What does Selectable Subwoofer Crossover mean ? What is 9-band? Does 7.2 means TWO Sub-woofer

Sub Woofer Box [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there peoples, I have a 12 inch 600 Watt sub in a fully enclosed generic sub box. I recently added a six inch mid range and a 6 inch speaker to the same box with no separation (all three speakers share the same volume) I have a large enough amp powering the speakers but the sub isn't...

View more questions Search