Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gslnut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 11:11 AM
    I need opinions regarding layoff
    I work for a company that has been laying off a handfull of people every year since 2007. It started again with 11 people receiving notices. They have however created 7 new positions. Normally the new positions are posted for all bargaining members to apply, including those that just received notices.
    My union executive board however states that these people that received notices are now on layoff status and no new positions are posted while people are on lay off status. BTW we do have people who are laid off and collecting unemployment but they have not recalled those people.
    I guess my question is how can someone be on layoff status yet come to work every day, collect a pay check every week. Layoff is layoff - at home and collecting unemployment - am I right or wrong to be arguing w/ my executive board over this.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 12:01 PM

Are these other positions in question... bargaining or non-bargaining positions? If they are both union jobs are they at a lower level?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Husband, Husband and Wife overseas, LayOff [ 9 Answers ]

I was on a H1B visa and working in the US sine June 2007. The company that I was working for downsized and I was laid off from there on 31st Oct 2008. Subsequently since I was unable to find employment I decided to move back home at the end of November. I got married in Dec 2008. By that time my...

Early lease termination for layoff IOWA [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a tenant can get out of a lease early if he or she gets laid off from their job. Again, the lease is in Iowa and I am a union boilermaker that works in many states throughout the country. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Doug

Preemptive layoff [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Pros and Cons of preemptive layoff. Is it ehtical?

View more questions Search