Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jet77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
    I need help finding a great community to move my family to in PA. Close to NYC
    My husband just accepted a job in NYC. We are currently in Dallas. We have 4 children. I am looking for a great community in PA to consider moving to. I don't want any thing longer than an hour long train ride for my husband. Obviously we need a good school district. I do not know anything about the area and need lots of advice.

Thanks a ton!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 11:29 AM

I think you'll find that most commuters from PA to NYC take the bus, unless you're commuting from the Philly area. Plan on 1-1/2 hours each way, plus time to get from Port Authority or Penn Station to the work location.

Is there some reason why you want to be in PA, as opposed to NJ, CT, or NY State?
    jet77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2010, 11:42 AM

Well the housing we looked at in the other locations just wasn't up to par with what were use to. I really don't want to pay $400,000 for a hundred year old house. And I found some new construction in PA. If you know of any houses in those areas that are descent , please do share.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 01:22 PM

You are correct in that there's no way you're going to find a home within 30-45 minute commute of NYC that will compare with what you have in the Dallas 'burbs for the same price. But you may not have to go as far as PA to find something suitable. If you look in northwest NJ, or Orange or Ulster county NY you should be able to find something. One other thing - having lived in both the northeast and in Dallas - in Dallas a 15 year old house is considered "dated," whereas in the northeast a 100 year old house is considered "charming." I'm serious. "New" does not automatically equal "good." Keep an open mind that opinions as to what makes a good house are incredibly different between the two areas. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoyed By Close Friends and Family [ 1 Answers ]

I always find myself annoyed by the people around me. Everyone I've been around for a while. I get irritated by little things and I'm never satisfied with what I've been doing for a while. It feels like I always need someone new or something new to do. Does anyone else feel this way?

Should I support my 20 yr.old daughter's decision to move close to me? [ 3 Answers ]

My 20 yr. Old daughter who has been independently living in another state (1000 miles away) with her boyfriend whom I don't approve of at all, wants to move closer to me in the state I live in, possibly the same city. She called me to ask if that was okay. Of course, I would love it if it was...

Great Chance to move [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My partner & I are waiting to hear if he is getting the go ahead to be transferred to the Sth Coast. I have gone for an interview & landed a job also, although it starts on the 5th of May. Should I ring them & say sorry I can't come anymore as we STILL haven't heard about the transfer as a...

What would you do if a family member or close friend was to tell you they were Wiccan [ 14 Answers ]

I am thinking about coming out of the "broom closet" as they say. But I'm not sure how my friends and family will take it. My husbands family is very very catholic. And my mother is a jahovas witness. I know that they would both think that I am worshiping the devil when in fact wiccans don't even...

Looking for a close family member for my wedding next year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I'm looking for my cousin. I know she's married now . I only have her maiden name. I'm unforsure on how to start for the search of her. I just know I must have her in my wedding? Does anybody have any good ideas...

View more questions Search