Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fox2010 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 09:10 PM
    Repair cidar broken post .With a repair kit?
    I have 4 broken fence posts is there a kit that you drive in frount and back and then screw it into the post.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 09:12 PM

There are cleats like you have said for repairing fences that have rotted. Is the break from rot or from being knocked over like a car hit and broke it?

Mar 3, 2010, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    There are cleats like you have said for repairing fences that have rotted. Is the break from rot or from being knocked over like a car hit and broke it?
    Hi the break is right on the ground it is like a clean cut.
    The wind blew the fence down 4 section.
    Right now I have the fence shored up with 2" x4" stake in the ground and nailed to the top of the post.
    A person said there is a unit that you pound into the ground and then screw into the post.
    Thank you for your help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 09:31 PM

Yes that is true. You can get them at hardware stores. I would also recommend if the wood is still solid to rebuild those sections by placing a rod in the center of the 4 posts for added strength. Drill both sides and set one into the other then use screws to attach the repair kits.

Mar 4, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Yes that is true.  You can get them at hardware stores.  I would also recomend if the wood is still solid to rebuild those sections by placing a rod in the center of the 4 posts for added strength.  Drill both sides and set one into the other then use screws to attatch the repair kits.
    Thank you for your help . I like the idea of putting a rod in the center of the post. I will wait until the weather is warmer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 08:39 PM

Your cheapest, most quick and longest last fix is to buy 8 green steel 1 1/2"" wide fence posts. Drive one in on the front and the one on the back of each broken post. You can then screw through the steel posts with 2-3" deck screws. This will be a real patch job, not look pretty but will get you through until good weather arrives. 4' Light Duty Fence Post by Do It Best Imp Fence - More Wire stretchers and post drivers at doitbest.com
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2010, 07:11 AM
    The cleats you mentioned, that you drive in right next to the broken post... I'm pretty sure I saw them at Home Depot. Then again, maybe it was Lowe's. They won't work if your posts have concrete at the base because you won't be able to drive the cleat in right next to the post. If you have concrete you have to dig it out or get one of those gizmos (don't know what you call it)you can drive right through the old broken off post base and through the concrete blob and then set the new post in it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 09:22 AM

Hopefully most folks know to not install a cedar post in concrete. Concrete and wood should never be put in direct contact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am looking for a repair kit for a shower diverter. [ 2 Answers ]

The shower diverter valve/plunger on my tub came apart. I would like to purchase a kit to replace the diverter valve.

Repair kit for whirlpool dryer lde8824ace [ 0 Answers ]

Do they make a repair kit for this machine that includes both wheels, and belt. Mark

Kit repair for corian [ 2 Answers ]

I would like a template to mark and cut corian, some pieces of corian (diferent colors) and some bits to work with corian, some body knows where can I get it? Thank you

FEBCO pressure vacuum breaker repair kit [ 2 Answers ]

It seems the kit(#905211) to repair a FEBCO pressure vacuum breaker includes an extra O-ring, is this true or am I not assembling it correctly. Thanks for your help!

Repair Kit for Florestone 4234-1 Shower Receptor [ 2 Answers ]

Esteemed Assistants, We have a 20 year old builer-installed Florestone 4234-1 shower receptor (base, integral drain with Wedge-lok Seal). On discovering a leak in the finished ceiling below, my handy brother-in-law applied silicone caulk to the exposed areas around the top and bottom of the...

View more questions Search