Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Windows baloney! "Safely Remove Hardware"
    I've got a Seagate external hard drive that removes just fine from my laptop, but here at my office I get the message

"The devie 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

When I click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

I've googled it to death and just get a bunch of chat about "windows doesn't like this and that", "large drives", "drivers", etc.

I know I can shut down the computer, then remove it, then power back on... but that's a drag.

What's the real deal?

As long as I know no files from the drive are open, can I just unplug it from my usb port?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
    I have a 2GB flashdrive by *imation, and I have the same problem. One day, I got fed up with the message (after seeing it for 10 minutes) so I just unplugged it from my PC. It happens once in a blue moon, but my drive and the files on it are fine. Hopefully this works for you, better yet, hope you can figure out a way to get past it!:)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Hi Rick,
    Here is some interesting info -- both a link to a program that might help give some insight into the problem, as well as some good relevant info about Norton Utilities if you use such:

http://david.fallingrock.net/2004/09...ice-right-now/

Hope this helps. Take care. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2006, 04:20 AM
    Thanks Thomas. I have no Norton stuff on my computer. I may try that Filemon app to see what's up.
    marburg Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Hi RickJ,

I also have a Seagate external drive with the same issue. In my situation, my home PC (home built) disconnects it just fine while my office PC (Dell) does not. What I found to be the situation with my Dell is the Write Behind feature is significantly slower than my home PC. Thus, if I'm using the Dell and I've written any files to my external drive I wait about 15-20 minutes before I use the safely remove hardware feature. This generally has resolved my problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp" Help and Support Services" not found [ 1 Answers ]

On clicking Help and Support in startup menu an error messege appears"Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.To search for a file,click the Start button, and then click Search."I searched and found the files at...

Windows & Firefox: Right Click "Open With" Option [ 5 Answers ]

Been mostly using FF this year but some sites don't play well - and some impossible. I've got shortcuts to these sites on my desktop. I'd really love to "designate" them as IE shortcuts so that they'll open with IE if I click on them. ... but if this is not possible, I'd like to at least...

Remove myself from "Authorized user" [ 2 Answers ]

I was the "authorized user" on a BankOne credit card. It has been closed and I've been paying on it for 3 years. I understand an authorized user is not responsible for the payment or liable for the balance? How can I get off this card entirely? The Primary accountholder will not do it.

View more questions Search