Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JP@btown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 01:49 PM
    4 wisdom/2 supernumerary need to be taken-out. HELP!
    After going to the dentist, for the first time in 5 years, I wasn't surprised to hear that I needed to get my wisdom teeth out. I am 20 years old, but haven't felt anything uncomfortable so I figured my wisdom hasn't hit me yet. One interesting thing is that I would have 6 teeth to extract, not 4. Apparently, I have 2 extra teeth on the bottom of my mouth, after my wisdom teeth, and it's really rare. I google'd it and they're called 'supernumerary teeth'.
    So I got a referral to a oral/maxillofacial surgeon highly respected in the area.....got the appointment for surgery after a consultation, and was very content. When I asked about the payment plans, they said they didn't have any! I would have to pay cash for my insurance doesn't cover oral surgery (unless it's an emergency) and they said they need cash in-full or nothing. Obviously this really upset me: I cancelled the appointment, argued with my insurance company about how ridiculous it is that I pay so much for surgical care in my plan and can't use it, and 5 months have gone by since then.
    Now, I can clench my jaw and feel pressure on the back. I believe that it's my wisdom teeth coming in even more, and I'm concerned.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to that will accept payment plans?
    If I decide to switch insurance companies, what kind of plan covers wisdom teeth extraction?
    Or is there any type of program I can go into that is funded by the state or something, for someone who has little income coming in?

I just need some sort of solution, cause I don't want to have to go to the ER after my teeth start growing into my jaw....causing abnormalties and lots of pain :(
    My insurance company said that THAT is the only scenario that they would be able to pay for oral surgery! (Bull, I say)

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 01:57 PM

Insurance company is correct, but in order for them to pay it has to be a medical emergency and you have a doctor's note saying that it is. I guess you will have to wait until it is a medical emergency unless you can take out a loan, because I imagine from dentistry costs, it is going to cost an arm and a leg, right ?

Let me put it this way. You are twenty, so your mouth still has a lot of movement in it yet and those wisdom teeth are going to push all the good teeth around, finding placement. You don't want this to happen if you want to keep your teeth to well into old age.

My insurance provider pays 85% of my dentist bill, which doesn't leave much for me to pick up. It is a shame they are not all like that, but, not all cover oral surgery and I don't expect mine would either.

This is a good case for preventative denistry, i.e. going every six months for cleaning and minor maintenance. That way you can/could avoid this problem. Insurance companies like people who take care of the basics. That means they will not get hit big when the big stuff comes their way.

ms. tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:15 PM
    Hi JP,

Call the closest Dental School in your State. I am sure with you having the supernumerary teeth you would have a good chance at being accepted as a patient for their surgical students. You will have to pay something, but it will be a far cry from what you'd be paying at the oral surgeons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom teeth [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual cost to remove wisdom teeth?

The wisdom of Mom. [ 14 Answers ]

HAVING MOM OVER FOR DINNER You don't even have to be a mother to enjoy this one. Brian invited his mother over for dinner. During the meal, Brian's mother couldn't help but notice how beautiful Brian's roommate, Jennifer, was. Brian's Mom had long been suspicious of the 'platonic'...

This is wisdom [ 3 Answers ]

This is wisdom Some say that tradition is like the party game where a message is whispered from one person to another and at the end of the line, the message bares scant resemblance to the original. They then turn around and ascribe that to the Catholic Church claiming that the Church teaches...

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

View more questions Search