Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Water pipes getting 'pierced'
    I have some water pipes that are on the roof of the house and they are getting 'pierced' one after the other. These are reddish orange pipes, about an inch in diameter that carry water from the water supply, to the tank and the solar water heater both on the roof. They are rather old (+10 years) and it's been a real problem lately dealing with those pipes breaking one after the other.

My question is: Is there a way in which I could extend the life-time of the pipes once replaced? What about the pipes that carry hot water from the solar water heater?

Also, at the junctions of the pipes, there is a ring which fits tightly on the pipe. It's quite difficult to remove it. Is that ring re-usable if it is still in good shape?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:48 AM

What type of material are the pipes made of? Metal? I think a there's a Pex type pipe that can withstand UV rays.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2010, 09:59 AM

Polycop pipes.

Well, they are slightly more that 10 years, and the ones that are still in 'good' shape have a thin layer of orange powder on the outerside.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 11:17 AM

This is a solar powered water heater? I'm not familiar with that material, but it's only rated for cold water.

C-B Supplies Ltd. - Products: Pipe and Tubing

This is the material I was thinking of for a replacement.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 07:18 AM

Well, the fact is that I already have the pipe for the replacement. I was seeking some tips of how to lengthen the duration that the pipe would remain in good condition.

Also, about the ring, do they sell the connections separately from the rings or together?

I've got connections similar to those (except the first one and they are made of brass)

The ring I have is very like this one:

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2010, 07:31 AM

This ring? Could it be a ferrule for a compression fitting? And if that tubing is picking up heat from the sun why isn't it painted black?
    If I were laying out a solar collector I would use ABS to do it. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 07:49 AM

It's made of brass, and I think it's a compression ring. But it's pretty much the same in structure, except that the outer side is curved (just like a wedding ring).

So, you suggest that I use a black tubing?

I know I should replace all the pipes together so that I don't get problems throughout the year. But at the moment, I don't have much time... I need to look for a good plumber (not too costly). Last time I called a plumber, he didn't put the ring even if I asked him whether a ring was required. Later on, the pipe that he 'fixed' constantly got out of the connection :mad:

That's why, until I have more time, I'd like to find some way to set up the water pipes so that they can last for some more time.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 08:24 AM

Install pipe insulation over this plastic tubing to shield it from elements.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Install pipe insulation over this plastic tubing to shield it from elements.
    Ok, which material may I use? I mean, readily available at home. Polystyrene would do? :confused:
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 08:39 AM

I would suggest any insulation that is not foam / plastic based - like felt or fiberglass. Plastic on the roof will shrink and melt under direct sun.

As far as your connections go - they appear to be Shark-Bite fittings.
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 09:25 AM

The brass thingys are called ferrules. Ideally they should be made of a plastic such as Nylon when used with plastic tubing.
    The ferrules deform and should not be taken off and reused. They should be available separately.

UV light degrades some plastics, so therefore your wasting your time putting back a plastic that will get brittle and/or degrades with exposure to UV light.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 10:54 AM

Ok, so black pipes not made of plastic, but something like ABS. Then, I use nylon ferrules.

Got it right?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 05:29 PM

Yep, we have to find a plastic that's UV stable and for hot water service. Some are listed here: Polyethylene Tubing - Polypropylene Tubing - Polyurethane Tubing

With tubing and compression fittings there is an insert that added to the tubing which is basically a tube with a washer like appendage. So, it's basically the ferrule goes against the tube and another metal tube. This makes a good seal. People that don't know what thery are doing omit the ferrule.

I just found out that you can get ferrules in Delrin which would probably be a better material.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 05:35 PM

This: Aquarium Plumbing: Lee's Vinyl Tubing 1" ID is UV resistant if ordered in black. Don't know how flexible it is. Don't know if it's rated for hot water applications.
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2010, 11:48 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I was really busy the past few days.

Thanks again. I asked if there were such pipes but there weren't any. :(

They said that the pipes (orange ones) are the best ones against the sun that is available.

The ferrules were indeed available separately, but there weren't plastic ones.

We bought some new connections and the pipe system is good for the time being.

Sometimes, I really hate Mauritius when so much things are not available :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pipes knocking on upper floor, after pipes burst [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - recently, my water pipes froze and burst, flooding my basement. I've had the pipes repaired. Now, when I turn on the hot water in my upstairs (2nd floor) sink, there's a knocking/clunking after I turn the hot water off. Its only the hot water (doesn't do it with cold water). When I...

Whole house cold water pressure drop off,public water pvc pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I searched the forums and didn't find my exact problem. So at every faucet in the house, the cold water drops off after initial turn on. House is on the public water main and was plumbed with PVC pipe. Just turned 5 yrs old I am guessing I have some kind of obstruction? There is a main...

Noisy home water pipes. What causes rattling pluming pipes in new home [ 2 Answers ]

Noisy home water pipes. What causes rattling pluming pipes in new home

View more questions Search