Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markous1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 08:18 AM
    How to install lead pan liner
    Any old timers out there

Hello guys I have been plumbing for about 11 years. Have installed hundres of pan liners but never a lead one. This guy called me up and wants a lead one. Crazy right! But that is what he wants. Have looked on the internet and cannot find anything about installing them apart from making it up outside the shower first. But I do not know what to do about the corners, as I'm pretty sure I won't be able to fold the lead like a membraine one . Any help would be appreciated as normally I would have told the guy to find someone who has done a few , but I have been out of work for a while now and really need the money.

Thanks

Mark
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2010, 07:31 PM

To start you need to find a sheet of four pound sheet lead. It needs to be, in size the area of the shower plus about eight inches added to all four sides.

To tell you in easy terms try this, take an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper, bent up four inches on one side now do the same on the adjecent corner. Now fold the corner from where the two folds meet to the corner of the paper. Fold the two sides up and you will have this tab sticking out on a 45 degree angle, fold it around the corner. Now do the other three corners the same way.

When you do the lead you should make the turned up sides about eight inches high.

Now lay it over you drain and make a hole in the center of the drain hole, only make this hole the size of the draind pipe and then finish putting your doubloe seepage drain on top of that.

I hope you can understand how I told you... but if you have done plastic you should be able to figure it out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2010, 07:42 PM

I think there is a point where a pro needs to educate the buyer. For example, cars were once painted by brush. Would a body shop be willing to paint a car now by brush, no way. Almost any other liner is superior to lead so why go backwords in time and do something you do not even know how to do. I have been doing baths on and off since 1966, I would never consider doing a lead liner, nor copper for that matter. Ask him why, you may hear something like hios grandpa was a plumber and said they were the best. Back to you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2010, 09:03 AM

Bob nailed it! Lead or copper shower pans are out and plastic's in. The last time I panned a shower in lead was over 30 years ago Your customer isn't a plumber and isn't aware of the problems that a lead pan will give him over the years. Try to talk him into using Compaseal.
    But ifyou can't you pan a lead shower exactly the same way you pan a plastic one. The only difference is the material. Good luck, Tom
    johnson374 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Measure shower floor and tranfer to lead pan.
    Cutout the corners then install the pan.
    Now use lead soilder rods to soilder the corners back together.
    Note: Make sure lead pan corners are cleaned with wire brush so when you soilder them the soilder will stick.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Hi Johnson and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 2 year old dead thread . Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date in the first post before you post, Thanks,
    Sorry Johnson but you're 20 years out of date. Lead and copper pans are out. And bye the way you don't cut the corners. You fold then to make a seamless corner. Plastic's in. Both Blue Compaseal and manufactured plastic are used today. The last time I formed a shower pan out of sheet lead was back in 1978. And you don't solder sheet lead you wipe a joint on them. But we thank you for your input, Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead Pan Leak [ 8 Answers ]

My company installed a shower base about a year ago in an apartment we were working on. We had a plumber install a lead pan, and then my installer laid the thinset, tiles and grout. The problem is that now it is leaking. The management company sent me pictures, but all the pictures show me is...

Shower pan liner. Corners driving me insane. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello out there and thanks for looking. I've been scouring the net looking for how to fold or cut corners for my membrane pan liner. I've already ruined 2 corners! My shower is an alcove style: 3 walls. The 2 back corners were easy as I had some space between studs to tuck the corners in but I'm at...

Shower pan/liner [ 6 Answers ]

Copper or the plastic type liner? Or are they 6 of one half dozen the other? Thanks.

Alternative to lead shower pan [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to be designing a bathroom in which the entire floor will need to act as a shower pan. What durable alternatives are there to using lead as the shower pan base?

Lead Shower Pan Failure - Alternatives? [ 8 Answers ]

I have shower stall, which is 25 yo with a lead pan installed (saw it done). The pan appears to have developed a leak near the drain. I've dug out the grout in the vicinity of the drain, and if I pour a couple of oz of water there, it immediately leaks to the ceiling below (cut the drywall,...

View more questions Search