Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LittleMrsDre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 05:30 PM
    I am a single disabled mother with not long to live.Need 2 file divorce terminate rig
    He bailed on us when my son was 5 weeks old. No emotional or financial support! I haven't spoken to him in years. My fear is if I die he will show up and take my son. I got him to sign a letter saying he wouldn't seek custody and that if I did my Mom should raise him. I live in Contra Costa County, CA and I need to know what to file and how to do it! PLEASE I AM DESPERATE FOR ANY HELP! GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 05:38 PM

Really nothing for you to file. You aren't dead yet.

Make sure your will specifically provides that your mom will have custody when you die, and hope for the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 05:50 PM

You can file for divorce and get custody of your son, but that does not take away his rights, and he will have the right if you die to ask for custody of his child. Most likely he won't, but there is nothing you can do to stop him.
    witchtoons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Perhaps since he's already signed a document stating he won't seek custody and you don't have long to live you could both sign over legal custody to your mother now or you could both give up your parental rights and have your mother adopt your child. It is important to understand there could be massive legal bills if your mother winds up having to go to court after your death.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a single mother need to file for full custody [ 12 Answers ]

Im a single mothe with 1 baby who is currently 1 yr and 7 months in california san diego , i currently receive child support started this month and the father of the child is currently in louisiana and want to have my daughter for a month i don't mind him wanting to spend time with her but...

If I live in va and my spouse lives in ct, where do file divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I live in va. My spouse currently resides in ct. We have been separated since feb. 2001. Do I need to get him to file paperwork in ct? Or can I file paperwork in va? Which is the best, fastest and cheapest route to take?

How long after you file for divorce can you get married [ 9 Answers ]

My sister's married to a guy and they're about to divorce, she's seeing someone else. IN the state of GA, when you file for divorce can you get married before the divorce is finalized.

What happens after I file for divorce. We both live in the same house [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I and our 2 kids live in the same house. But we are so miserable. He is not willing to work out our relationship because he says I am too busy and I have to survive financially. I can't take it anymore and I am thinking of filing for divorce but I don't know what is going to happen...

Full time student, single mother, no income, do I file? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a single mom with no income. I am a full time college student though with grants and loans. Do I still file to claim my daughter and school expenses? Thanks for you help! Amanda :)

View more questions Search