Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taniau Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Lost diamond / 2 claws damaged - is the jeweler responsible?
    Hi
    With horror I realised that my diamond was missing off my engagement ring and one claw had snapped off and another one damaged. The jeweler said he wasn't responsible and I should have been more careful. Do I have a case to take this further?
    dwilliams8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2010, 08:46 AM
    I think you mean prongs not claws. I assume you mean that you were wearing the ring and you noticed that the diamond was gone. What was the guarantee when you purchased it? Many jewelers offer an inspection plan where you take the ring in every 6 months to have it cleaned and inspected. If you loose a diamond after the jeweler inspects it and gives the ring a clean bill of health (all the prongs look good) then under this plan the jeweler will replace your diamond. At the jeweler I work for it's called a "diamond bond".
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 01:57 AM

When one purchase a diamond jewelry from any jewelers, the customer is entitled with warranty from the jeweler. The warranty varies from Jeweler to Jeweler. If the warranty covers diamond replacement within 3 months or 6months and the diamond falls due to flaws in the prongs( what you call claw) or any manufacturing defects, the diamond should be replaced by jeweler. But in case the prong is accidentally damaged or damage after the warranty period is over and the diamond falls for which jeweler would not be responsible.

In order to take this matter further you would first need to check what kind of warranty you have on this piece of jewelry from your jeweler.( Most likely you will find it printed on your receipt).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 03:53 PM

Did you have a homeowner's policy in force at the time the diamond was lost? That would be covered under that policy. Same thing with renter's insurance. This though is provided if you had listed the ring on the policy and had a rider.

Diamonds do fall out of their settings rather easily. Diamonds themselves CAN be broken or chipped if hit just so.

It depends on what percentage of metal your prongs were and the type of setting but this IS possible to happen if hit or snagged just so.
    konnard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
    I don't think you have a case to take this further, not until you tell in what kind of circumstances you wore your ring. It happened to my sister but she always wore it, even when she cleaned the house so when she lost the diamond she wasn't surprised. <a href="http://www.goldenet.com.au/diamonds/diamonds.aspx">Diamonds</a> are precious, they need to be taken care of. If you can prove you was careful with it then you have a case.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by konnard View Post
    I don't think you have a case to take this further, not until you tell in what kind of circumstances you wore your ring. It happened to my sister but she always wore it, even when she cleaned the house so when she lost the diamond she wasn't surprised. <a href="http://www.goldenet.com.au/diamonds/diamonds.aspx">Diamonds</a> are precious, they need to be taken care of. If you can prove you was careful with it then you have a case.

This is incorrect legal advice. In order to win a case you don't prove you were careful; you prove the jeweler was somehow negligent. I don't see that happening.

My jeweler suggests/requires that ALL diamond jewelry be inspected by him twice a year. In exchange he guarantees I will not lose a stone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Licensing for jeweler [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wish to become Silver Jewelry supplier, in the uk local area do I need any permission to do that if yes so how to do wt to do? Please provide me some use full information I want to buy silver jewelry from india and sale in the uk as a supplier it is possible? If yes so wt I need to do ,...

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

Cutting kittens claws [ 6 Answers ]

How old should a kitten be before you can start cutting their claws. We have a new little kitten, he's a little over six weeks and his little claws are very sharp. We have been teaching him not to dig in but he's a kitten and full of energy, when he gets carried away he's destructive. We won't...

My apt flood damaged neibors property - what am I legally responsible for ? [ 7 Answers ]

My kitchen sink accidentally overflowed causing some damage to apt below. The person below me gave me estimate for his damaged mattress and 1.5 hrs of lost wages. I do not have renters insurance. I don't know what to do and have so many questions... -am I legally responsible to pay for his...

Santa Claws? [ 7 Answers ]

So Disney say that "Santa",is one of their characters.Sounds more like them playing Scrooge if you ask me.Merry xmas. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6189521.stm

View more questions Search