Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ed mac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 09:35 AM
    You want to buy a house,but it needs a new roof can you still get homeowners
    Want to buy a short sale,but the house needs a roof in about a year or two. Can you still get homeowners insrance to buy it ,and say fix it with in the year.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 10:10 AM

You may not be able to get the proper home insurance. New roofs are very expensive and I'm not aware of any insurance company that would insure your home minus the roof. You could try, but I'm not confident of you finding anyone to insure this home.

Also, even if you did buy the home, do you have lots of money to fix the roof on your own even in a year? What are you planning on doing when it rains hard or heavy snow is on your roof? Use a tarp?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 12:08 PM

Most [reputable] companies will want to visually inspect the property before agreeing to bind coverage. If the roof is in such bad shape, you will have to do the repairs first. Plus, assuming you're not living in the house because of the bad roof then you also have the issue of the home being vacant. A house cannot be vacant for more than 60 days so you'd have to have the repairs done practically right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Roof on House [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what to look for in a roofer and what questions to ask the contractor before I have someone do the job? Thank you

Where to buy roof vent for washing machine [ 2 Answers ]

Presently, my 2" PCV pipe from my washing machine ends in the attic. I would like to extend the PCV to the roof, and want to be able to purchase a roof vent that would prevent bires and rodents from entering.

History of Homeowners House [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I find out who was the prior owner of the house I live in. Sandie WA

Will my homeowners insurance still pay our losses from our house fire if we foreclose [ 3 Answers ]

We had a garage fire in December and our house has not been rebuilt yet. Our Public Adjuster is working with our Insurance provider and they haven't come to an amount agreement. In the meantime my husband and I are broke and we can't afford our house payments anymore. At the time of purchase we...

Snake in roof of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, How do you get a snake out of the roof? The snake only appeared this week but it has already killed two of our wild lorikeets. My family home is a two-storey with verandahs so the snake has a lot of places to hide. We are desperate to be rid of it. Any suggestions will be very...

View more questions Search