Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tam1234 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2010, 08:12 PM
    What's reasonable of me?
    Hey, just a quick question about what is reasonable. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and we live together, and were very happy. (im 21, he's 23)

Recently he found some old girlfriend of his on Facebook that was a sort of childhood love left openended. (he was about 12, so nothing serious.) He starts to message her, and she remembers very little, immediately starts calling him by a friendly nickname, and starts being flirtatious. This has only been a couple days, but they keep texting back and fourth, and though I don't know exactly what they're saying, he isn't hiding it, and what she's saying is flirtatious, with lots of smily faces and *pokes and other things.

She knows we're in a serious relationship, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I feel sort of lonely when he does it too.. He'll go on for 30minutes to 2 hours at a time without really paying attention to me at all.

We've talked about it, but he says, she's not my type and there's nothing going on, just catching up...

I obviously am pretty jealous, but I feel like if I tell him to stop that I'd be just some controlling him, but It's tearing me up every time his phone buzzes for her text. I just want to throw the phone out the window!

Can someone tell me, what should I do, should I take a stand?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 08:22 PM

So ask him to remove her as a friend, and/or explain he was just finding old friends but not up for email exchange. And have him merely ignore any messages from her.

And to "text" he had to give her his number also.

Tell him to put a end to it NOW

My now wife and at one time girlfriend, after the third time would have smashed it to pieces, you need to explain this to him, and ask him how the couch sleeps
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 08:46 PM

Hello Tam,

Facebook can be very dangerous! The reason I know this is because it has caused my ex husband and I turmoil... Same thing happened to me. A woman from his past had sent him a friend request. At first, I didn't really mind, then after a while, I thought to myself, okay, that's enough. How I handled it was just by telling him that hurts my feelings that he is confiding in another woman. Or even spending more time talking to her on FB. He then removed her, after sending a message indicating why he would remove her. I happen to like Facebook. I find that it is a good vehicle to keep in touch with my friends and family. However, I DO NOT have exboyfriends on there, or men that I don't know! Only people that I know. It's up to you on how you wold like to handle this situation. I feel that you should explain that you are hurt ad upset by all of this... If he cares for you, then he will remove her from Facebook. Also, this texting stuff has to stop! Why they even exchanged numbers, I'll never know!

Also YES you are being reasonable!

I wish you luck.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Mar 2, 2010, 12:11 AM

Have to say I did what he did. Perhaps things would not turn out the same way but I ended up falling for the ex and cheating. Thankfully my fiancé is a goddess and forgave me but the fact still is that an old flame is a flame that can flicker and you don't want that. Being that your boyfriend remembers more of her than she does him means that he really liked her and was wondering where she had gone. She didn't really ever think about him but maybe she is willing to get to know him better again. Either way Squash this potental problem before it evolves into something horrible. At least you know, my fiancé didn't know until after we had broke up and gotten back together due to completely unrelated problems. (Actually I didn't cheat, I broke up with her and then seen my ex but I had been talking to her for a while.)
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 11:59 AM

Let him know exactly how you feel. The biggest way to avoid the temptation to cheat, is to step up and tell your partner what is acceptable and what is not, and to allow your partner to do the same. Tell him it makes you uncomfortable. If he cares what you think, he will respect that.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:05 PM

This makes me cranky.

It is not okay to rekindle any relationship, or start a new relationship, or exchange email and texts with another woman, while you are committed in an existing relationship.

Why is there no restraint here on his part, even enough to know that he means 'nothing' and put an end to it.

Each of them are encouraging each other. They bounce back and forth like a couple of school kids with a new soccer ball.

She should know better than to mix it up with him while he has you. He should know better than to mix it up with her, because you should come first. Girls on the side never work out, regardless if it is in person, or through texting.

Tell him to stop, it makes you uncomfortable. Period. If he wants to pursue women, fine- but not while you are around.

I'd be questioning his maturity level, his level of commitment to you, and his minimizing the effect this has on your relationship.

Keeping silent will see this continue between the two of them. Saying something you risk finding out that he's not who you thought he was.

The two of you need to talk about why this blast from the past is causing a problem.

I wouldn't put up with it for more than three seconds.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 12:07 PM

Darn these new social networking sites, and texting!!

I think as others have pointed out, you tell him how you feel about it, and if he doesn't give you the considerations you deserve, then he does his thing without you.

Mar 3, 2010, 02:11 AM

Thank you guys! I appreciate the support
    AmericanGirl01 Posts: 145, Reputation: 83

Mar 3, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Darn these new social networking sites, and texting!!!
    Facebook: Destroying relationships since 2004.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2010, 08:19 AM

Let us know how everything turns out. You've gotten some great advice here and now need to step up to the plate to bring it to an end before it goes any further.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGirl01 View Post
    Facebook: Destroying relationships since 2004.
    I don't agree. It's not Facebook destroying relationships, it's people.

Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 AM

Yay! Contact broken, and things are back to normal! :) Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it reasonable to conclude that, [ 1 Answers ]

Is it reasonable to conclude that, in this state, cancer or respiratory diseases were the cause of approximately 28% of deaths in 2002? Cause of death Percent Heart disease 28.4 Cancer 21.4 Circulatory disease 7.6 Respiratory Diseases 6.4 Accidents 4.9

This scenario, is it reasonable? [ 11 Answers ]

Yesterday, I went out to my friends house for dinner. My boyfriend went out to his friend graduation. He got home earlier than me and tried calling me. (iv previously told him to try calling twice and if I don't answer, ill most likely message telling him why) So he called me twice,...

Is this reasonable [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who is graduating with industrial engineering degree and will work for this fortune 500 firm as a Quality Engineer? Do you think $50,000/ yr is a reasonal salary to her? She has to travel interntionally 50% of the time. Thanks,

"reasonable times upon reasonable notice" [ 2 Answers ]

My son will be 9 in about 2 1/2 weeks. His father has had absolutely no contact with him since July 1, 2006. He lives about 10 min away and just hasn't bothered calling in this time. BF and his wife can't even keep a phone so I have no idea what their phone number is anymore (or if they even have...

Looking for reasonable rates [ 1 Answers ]

Does any one know if delta airlines has any cheap rates from tucson to rapid city. Leave on March 25 - Return April 25 looking for a price around $250 round trip Thanks Billy:)

View more questions Search