Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomknu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Why would I need to pay self employment tax on employment settlement
    My original question was regarding 1099 misc I can't find any informaiton regarding the rational of paying self employment tax on settlement when I was an employee of this company I found this documentation on a site regarding self employment. Also how can I determine what the award is replacing. Tax laws differ from many other laws surrounding compromise settlements. My WC case in compromise settled wages as well as requesting a resignation when there was a written request for accommodation.

The discrimination claim was filed because the employer insurance originally denied the WC claim so the employer felt they did not have to address the disability which was diagnosed by dr (depression) and not address accommodating. As well as by requesting resignation they would relieve their responsibility of reasonable accommodation. So the settlement was in regards to the discrimination so what in this case would it be replacing HERE IS INFO ON SELF EMPLOYMENT TAXES. What would merit paying these taxes if I was not self employed and would I now have to pay Med & SS at a 6.2 or higher is what is seem to have been taken on my W2
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 01:41 AM

Yes, you will report this on schedule C or C-EZ. This is payment received by you when you are not an employee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY State Self-Employment Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Where do I find the form and directions for quarterly estimated taxes for self-employment. I have the federal info I need - just looking for NY State. Thanks!

Self-Employment Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Currently, I am a 1099 employee. In order to pay my SE tax (SS and Medicare tax), Would there be a tax saving for me to form a corporation under my SS, and then pay my salary and taxes through the corporation, versus paying taxes directly to IRS (without forming a corporation). Please explain....

Can we gift to pay for employment [ 2 Answers ]

With my medical power of attorney, I have hired my niece to live for free with my mom and care for her 24/7. Can the person with my mom's power of attorney just have my mom gift her granddaughter a salary of $3,500 per month or do we have to pay social security and unemployement on it.

Employment Law regarding employment applications [ 2 Answers ]

I know that employers can ask on their applications if you have ever been convicted of a felony, but I ran into one the other day that asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last 7 years?" Just wondering why the 7 years.

Self Employment tax [ 4 Answers ]

If you owe self employment taxes based on your Schedule C is that payment included in your total tax liability or is it paid separately?

View more questions Search