Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 11:41 PM
    Having a Skin Graft. What to Expect?
    Hi, All!

Okay, some of you know that I recently had skin cancer removed from my nose. I waited too long and it had grown to a fairly large size.

I promise that I won't wait too long again! The shots and surgery weren't really all that bad! I just was being "chicken", thinking things might go away and that maybe I could handle things on my own.

WRONG!

Never would really heal... It was all basil cell carcinoma.

Surgeon took things down to the bone. At least three pathology reports to wait for while I was on the operating table. In the end though, everything came back "clear".

Now have a skin graft over the area. Skin was taken off my left collar bone to cover the area from where the cancer was excised.

Questions...

Will I ever have feeling in that area again?

It looks like a piece of "meat" that has been softened with a meat tenderizing mallet. Are those my pores that I'm seeing? I know that there weren't sutures put throughout the whole thing.

Will the same hair that was on my collar bone be growing out of the skin graft?

Will the skin graft blend in with the other skin on my face?

That's just a start here...

If you've had a skin graft or experience with others having a skin graft, I would really appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks!
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:45 AM
    Hi Clough, sorry to hear about your cancerous experience.

... I hope that it doesn't look too bad- it can be pretty awful (my husband had one removed from the top of his head last year!

Anyway, we're from Australia, the skin cancer capital of the world, and I know heaps of people that have had skin grafts. Too many unfortunately, and I expect I may be one of them one day - having been the 'sun queen' at one stage.

My brief answers to your questions (but your doctor may be able to answer them better than I)...

Will I ever have feeling in that area again?

Probably not - since everything has been removed to the bone, so have all the nerve endings.

It looks like a piece of "meat" that has been softened with a meat tenderizing mallet. Are those my pores that I'm seeing? I know that there weren't sutures put throughout the whole thing.

I'm not sure, if it's all been removed down to the bone, I don't think they would be pores you'd be looking at. Could they be stitches?

Will the same hair that was on my collar bone be growing out of the skin graft?

Yes, it may. (You have hair on your collar bone? ) In OZ they usually take the graft from below the armpit.

Will the skin graft blend in with the other skin on my face?

Eventually yes, although it will look like a patchwork quilt for a while.

I hope you heal quickly, and with minimal discomfort!
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:59 AM
    Well, I'm trying here!

At least the cancer is gone!

Believe it or not, the surgeon has retired and I was one of his last patients. Now, I need to work with his nurse for taking off the scabs.

There wasn't much hair in the area from where he took the skin graft.

I don't think that they're stiches that I'm seeing. I'm think that they might be pores.

Well again, at least the cancer is gone!

I'm just looking for some future expectations here!

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 01:01 AM
    It's really not pores Clough. It's actually how they "shave" off the skin for the skin graft. All skin grafts look like that at the beginning.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 01:33 AM
    So, what are the holes, please?

Thanks!
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 01:34 AM
    I don't know what they are called, but it has to do with increasing the blood flow and oxygenation to the tissues.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 01:39 AM
    Well, my retired nurse friend said that things would smooth out eventually.

Is that true?
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 01:41 AM
    It should. She knows much more about it than I do though. Now, if you are having a baby... :p;)
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
    The skin graft has a bunch of scabs on it. It also looks very dry and has a very thin layer of dried skin that is flaking off.

Are those things that are also normal occurrences?

I've also decided to have a baby, J_9! I just wanted to let you know that! :p
    Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 08:01 AM
    Very normal Clough!

You're having a baby? Wow, what great news! Can I be your nurse? I've always wanted to make the news. Never had a pregnant man before!
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    The skin graft has a bunch of scabs on it. It also looks very dry and has a very thin layer of dried skin that is flaking off.

Are those things that are also normal occurrences?

I've also decided to have a baby, J_9! I just wanted to let you know that! :p
    Sometimes having a baby is easier that submitting to horrible procedures like skin grafts!

A friend of mine had mastectomy and they grafted some skin from near the pubic area to recreate the nipple. Anyway, they went too far down and grafted a piece of skin that had pubic hair on it - so guess what? She started growing hair from her nipple. Needless to say, they had to do it all over again, which was just awful for her.

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you Clough! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Very normal Clough!

You're having a baby? Wow, what great news! Can I be your nurse? I've always wanted to make the news. Never had a pregnant man before!
    Should be any day now! Water has already started to break... We're going to have to call the Guinness Book of World Records! Sure, I'd love to have you as my nurse.

Get ready for fame and fortune! :p

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    Sometimes having a baby is easier that submitting to horrible procedures like skin grafts!

A friend of mine had mastectomy and they grafted some skin from near the pubic area to recreate the nipple. Anyway, they went too far down and grafted a piece of skin that had pubic hair on it - so guess what? She started growing hair from her nipple. Needless to say, they had to do it all over again, which was just awful for her.

It's so dry and looks like crap right now! I'm sorry about your friend!

I'm hoping that I don't have to shave my nose!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 2, 2010, 09:47 PM

One of my library volunteers (age 70ish) had skin cancer on her nose, had it cored out, got a skin graft, wore a bandage then a band-aid for quite a while, then walked around with a brownish place on her nose that, within two years, filled in and now looks like a normal nose.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:53 PM
    Well, I'm hoping that it will look normal eventually, Wondergirl! I spoke with a woman at one of the churches that I attend. She evidently had a large portion of her nose removed because of skin cancer.

You wouldn't know it now though.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

I'm glad that I finally had it done! I shouldn't have waited so long!
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Mar 3, 2010, 10:05 PM

Hey Clough,
    I'm glad you are OK... Very brave to have that procedure done. I bet you are relieved it's all behind you.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by summer7 View Post
    Hey Clough,
    I'm glad you are OK...Very brave to have that procedure done. I bet you are relieved it's all behind you.
    Yes. It's behind me now summer7. I am relieved!

Thanks! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 11:26 PM
    Well, scabs are to be removed this coming week.

I wonder what will be involved with that? Every day, it looks a little worse. I know that it's healing, but I'm having to explain to customers of mine what's happening with my nose.

Thanks!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Well, scabs are to be removed this coming week.

I wonder what will be involved with that? Every day, it looks a little worse. I know that it's healing, but I'm having to explain to customers of mine what's happening with my nose.

Thanks!
    You could always say that one customer wouldn't pay up, and he got the worst of it,, lol
    Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post

I've had 4 babies AND a mastectomy with the same procedures as your friend. I'd rather have a baby. The pain associated with having a baby is over as soon as the baby pops out. The pain I had with my mastectomy lasted over 12 weeks! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to expect [ 14 Answers ]

Hello ladies. My daughter went to the dentist yesterday. Not her first time. But the first time she turned up with cavitys. Of course I got worried, but he assured me its common in children and nothing to worrie about. Its only 2. one of them is small. However the other one is very deep, almost...

How long for bone graft to heal? [ 8 Answers ]

At the beginning of April, I had a tooth extracted and a bone graft done, so that I can have an implant done later in the year. Now, the gum has healed up well, the stitches are out, but it is still sore when you press on it, and I feel as if there is less there than around it. Will the bone...

Looking for a filet crochet graft [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a graft of a tapestry with lions,trees knights a little of everything tanks so much

Femoral graft for dialysis [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pro and con's on having a ptfe graft inserted in the thigh area, it's to be used for heamodialysis, for my wife. She has already had 2 failed fistula's and they say that there is no further access in her upper limbs, so currently on a tunneled neck line. Thanks Kevin

View more questions Search