Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fatman55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 08:56 PM
    chemical equations help?
    Solid aluminum bromide and chloride gas react to produce bromine and solid aluminum chloride.

chemical equation?
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Feb 28, 2010, 09:46 PM

AlBr + Cl = Br + AlCl

single replacement is what is used... sorry I don't have the proper numbers for the atoms but they should be on you perodic table with the +-
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2010, 08:16 AM

I have to disagree starfirefly. These are not the proper formulae.

Aluminium bromide - consist of aluminium and bromide ions, aluminium having a valency of 3 and bromide a valency of 1. This makes aluminium bromide have the formula

Chlorine gas has the formula:

Aluminium chloride is written as

And bromine liquid is written as

The equation becomes:

Now to balance, you need one more chlorine ion on the left, and one more bromine ion on the right. You need to put 3/2 in front of Cl2 and 3/2 in front of Br2. This way, you have 2* 3/2 = 3 chlorine atoms and 2 * 3/2 = 3 bromine atoms.

The equation is now balanced. To remove the fractions, just multiply everything by 2.

You can count the atoms on the left and right. They are the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chemical Reactions: Balanced Chemical Equations [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a structural diagram of reactant molecules 2 no + )2 -> 2no3 Structural digram of product molecules

Deriving chemical equations from balanced net ionic equations? [ 1 Answers ]

1.) NaCl (aq) + MnO2 (s) -------->Mn2+ (aq) + Cl2 (g) in H2SO4 2.) KCN (aq) + KMno4 (aq) --------> CNO- (aq) + MnO2(s) in KOH

[HELP]gr11 chemistry - predicting chemical reactions and balancing chemical equations [ 5 Answers ]

hey can nebody help me with my chemistry hmwk? i dun really get it... :confused: thanks! For each of the following reactions, determine what the products of each reaction will be. When you have predicted the products, balance the equation and use a table of solubility products to...

View more questions Search