Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tculberson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
    How can you tell if your modem is broken?
    My computer keeps disconnecting at irregular intervals. It my go for half a day, just an hour or maybe minutes and the diagnostic mode comes on to check the connectivity. I have disconnected the modem, and sometimes the internet light goes off or flashes off and on. Sometimes the activity light is off.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tculberson View Post
    How can you tell if your modem is broken?
    The easiest way is to replace it with a known good modem and see if the issue persists.

the diagnostic mode comes on to check the connectivity
    If you are referring to Windows', see You receive a "Limited or no connectivity" message on a computer that is connected to the Internet by a DSL modem or by a cable modem after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2. However, most of the times I've encountered on again-off again network connectivity situations where the connectivity oscillates, it was due to a physically damaged jack or network adapter or electrical damage due to a surge.

I have disconnected the modem, and sometimes the internet light goes off or flashes off and on. Sometimes the activity light is off.
    Regardless of the modem, I would expect the activity light to be off when there is no activity. Otherwise, without knowing the modem model it is impossible to say whether the Internet light is behaving as it should. Generally, though they are off when the WAN connection is down or flashing when a connection like PPP is being negotiated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

Hand is not broken but suddenly started having Broken-like symptoms, why? [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I put weight on my hand, it hurts a lot like if it was broken. It's been 3 weeks already. It doesn't seem to go away. But it's only when I put my weight on it. Put weight meaning for example I'm sitting down and I push against the chair to get up. Can this be arthritist or...

Modem [ 1 Answers ]

What is Modem? Different types of Modem? Block Diagram of Modem? Modem Interfaces Modem Protocols & Standards

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem?:confused:

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

View more questions Search