Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Positive Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 11:41 PM
    California Landlord, Tenant Fire
    1- I rented to my friend and her boyfriend. I knew it was probably a mistake but I was trying to help them out. They had bad credit and no deposit.
    2- Current record, rent has been consistently late, but right now current and less than half the deposit.
    3- Fire broke out on porch while they were at work in morning, fire department breaks down door, sprinkler system goes off, fire on porch. Fire department saw outside wall and takes fireplace apart. Fire department believes that cigarette had started or embers of cigarettes flew onto bag of coals used for BBQ and smoldered there before breaking fire out.
    4- Lawyer tells me to kick them out and hire contractors to repair and file judgment against renters to garnish wages.
    5- I'm trying to work with renters, but I'm afraid I'm getting screwed. Renter's dad is a general contractor, I need him to guarantee and warrantee work. Dad's company is to pay for work and renter is to pay for supplies. General contractor will only guarantee work for 1 year and no charge to me. Basically, renter would be responsible for all costs.

The renters want me to sign and acknowledge on paper that they will pay and repair damages but will not accept full responsibilities or liabilities. According to renter there is a possibility that a cigarette from above them could have flown onto porch and set the fire. I am sure that their cigarette caused the fire. According to rental contract they are to carry renter's insurance for damages to premises and own assests, but they only did for their own personal assests. Also according to rental agreement if the fire was caused by renter that I have the right to cancel the rental agreement, hire contractors and they are responsible for all costs and loss of rent. My friend's boyfriend is the smoker. He's been very unresponsible. Not paying on time, spending money instead of paying rent, breaking windows when drunk of condo complex and a DUI with his baby daughter in vehicle. I am pretty certain that his cigarette caused damage.

I don't think I should sign her document saying that she is not responsible for any further damages. I think I have to check to make sure that most contractors will have covered more than a year for warrantee contracting work. And will not charge me, or have lawyer look at the documents before he proceeds. Then if he refuses, to kick them out and cut my losses, get the work done with peace of mind and file a judgement to garnish wages against them. Advice?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Positive
    1- I rented to my friend and her boyfriend. I knew it was probably a mistake but I was trying to help them out. They had bad credit and no deposit.
    2- Current record, rent has been consistently late, but right now current and less than half the deposit.
    3- Fire broke out on porch while they were at work in morning, fire department breaks down door, sprinkler system goes off, fire on porch. Fire department saw outside wall and takes fireplace apart. Fire department believes that cigarette had started or embers of cigarettes flew onto bag of coals used for BBQ and smoldered there before breaking fire out.
    4- Lawyer tells me to kick them out and hire contractors to repair and file judgment against renters to garnish wages.
    5- I'm trying to work with renters, but I'm afraid I'm getting screwed. Renter's dad is a general contractor, I need him to guarantee and warrantee work. Dad's company is to pay for work and renter is to pay for supplies. General contractor will only guarantee work for 1 year and no charge to me. Basically, renter would be responsible for all costs.

The renters want me to sign and acknowledge on paper that they will pay and repair damages but will not accept full responsibilities or liabilities. According to renter there is a possibility that a cigarette from above them could have flown onto porch and set the fire. I am sure that their cigarette caused the fire. According to rental contract they are to carry renter's insurance for damages to premises and own assests, but they only did for their own personal assests. Also according to rental agreement if the fire was caused by renter that I have the right to cancel the rental agreement, hire contractors and they are responsible for all costs and loss of rent. My friend's boyfriend is the smoker. He's been very unresponsible. Not paying on time, spending money instead of paying rent, breaking windows when drunk of condo complex and a DUI with his baby daughter in vehicle. I am pretty certain that his cigarette caused damage.

I don't think I should sign her document saying that she is not responsible for any further damages. I think I have to check to make sure that most contractors will have covered more than a year for warrantee contracting work. And will not charge me, or have lawyer look at the documents before he proceeds. Then if he refuses, to kick them out and cut my losses, get the work done with peace of mind and file a judgement to garnish wages against them. Advice?
    Sign NOTHING. You need to be dealing with your insurance company and not the tenants... let your insurance co deal with them.

Your insurance has a subrogation of rights which you can't waive which is what your tenants are trying to get you to do.

Nov 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
    My insurance is at a $5000 deductible because of HOA on the condo. The fire damage is less than that. So the insurance company wiill probably not get involved, right? So I probably still have to deal with the tenant myself? What should I do?

Nov 28, 2006, 03:28 PM
    My insurance is at a $5000 deductible because of HOA on the condo. The fire damage is less than that. So the insurance company wiill probably not get involved, right? So I probably still have to deal with the tenant myself? What should I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

View more questions Search