Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allenff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Does my wife need an ITIN to file jointly with me?
    Hello, I am a US resident alien right now and my wife came in us in May 2009 and stay here the rest of 09 with a H-4 visa. If we want to file jointly, besides my SSN, does my wife have to have an ITIN to file with me? She doesn't have a income.

If yes, does she have to have a ITIN first so that we can file or we can file while applying for an ITIN to IRS? Thank you very much.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 1, 2010, 07:02 AM

Wife must have an ITIN. File Form W7, check box (e) and put in your name and SS number on that line.
    Get your wife's passport certified at a notary.
    Send your tax return, the W7 and certified copy of her passport to:
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

Mar 1, 2010, 07:59 PM

Thank you for your help.
    After going through the W-7 form, I am a little confused about the check box C and E. My wife came US in May, 09 and stayed the rest of the year with H-4, so she should be treated as resident alien, right?
    In this case, which box we should check.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 2, 2010, 02:34 AM

As a certifying acceptance agent my advice to you is to check box (e).

Mar 2, 2010, 08:29 PM

Thank you very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B with H4 Wife and Citizen Son; how to file ITIN for Wife currently abroad. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filed my return as single for 2007 as my wife joined me in late December 07. In 08 we had baby and whole year my wife was here, she is abroad for a while with baby and will be back only after may. I don't have ITIN for her; have social for my son though. How do I get ITIN because they ask...

I am on OPT (F-1) and my wife is on F-2. File taxes jointly using ITIN [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am currently on OPT on F-1 and my wife is on F-2 visa. Can I file the taxes jointly by applying for a ITIN (using the W-7 form)? If yes, can I submit the 1040A form + W-2s with the W-7? Thanks :) Siddharth

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Does a wife (H4) need ITIN for filling federal tax with her husband (H1) jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I (H1, have SSN) came to US on June 2007 with my wife (H4). I am staying in Texas from June 2007 till today. My wife doesn't have a ITIN and she is a house wife (does not work). Now I need to file my federal tax for the year 2007. Do I need to have ITIN for my wife before I can file...

Married Filing Jointly (ITIN and E-file) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Its my understanding that you cannot e-file if you are filing Jointly for which you do not have your wife's ITIN. However, if I go to a TAC center, and get the ITIN for my wife, can I then e-file my taxes. Thanks, dbacks3449

View more questions Search