Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
    HVAC Extended Warranty
    OK guys, gals, I need some help, advice... I purchased and had installed a 12 seer Trane Heat Pump, AC, to include the air handler in June 1999, ducts were fine and I did not have the contractors touch those. The HVAC contractor ripped out the old system, installed the new system which included a the new outside unit and the new coil, air handler inside. The system came with a manufacturers warrantly of one year, think the compressor outside came with a limited warranty of 4 yrs. I almost never purchase "extended" warranties but did in this case. Good that I did because in late 2000 the coil inside the air handler developed a leak and had to be replaced, didn't cost me one penny but would have cost about $1000. Had I not purchased the extended warranty for 10 yrs for a fee of $375.00, had a couple of more minor issues since 2000 but nothing major. Now I've been told the compressor outside is almost shot and has to be replaced. I have maintaned the unit as prescribed by the terms of the extended warranty and had the unit serviced on a regular basis. The compressor was ordered and an install time was set. Then the contractor called and said he wanted to let us know of the cost. Wow, what a surprise ! The contractor said that the compressor was about $2000. And the warranty company was allowing me roughly $800. Toward the cost of the compressor. I would have to pay the difference of approx almost $1200. I read my warranty and no where does it say that the old compressor would be depreciated. I really would appreciate any suggestions, comments, ideas or experience anyone has had with extended warranties on HVAC compressors.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Wow, the whole scenario is not to sweet. There shouldn't be a problem with the compessor in only 7 years. Why do they think it is going bad? Did they do a megaohm reading? Most of the time, a compressor failure, comes from improper refrigerant charge, or moisture in the system, I'll let you draw your own conclusions, if it has been maintained annually. There are several manufacturers out there that carry a standard 5 year on all part warranty, and 10 years on a high efficiency compressor. I would replace the whole thing with a different brand and dealer before I put $1200 into a 6 year old heat pump. But from what you are saying, I'd tell you to run that compressor to death and find a new company to work with.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 27, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Hey thanks for your input ! Didn't really know what to ask since I am an insurance agent not a HVAC man. But let me answer a couple of questions you raised... or try to... I was home when the tech came by... sorry to say I didn't go outside with him, he was out there maybe 10 minutes, came back in, told me (after I told him it was making a lot of unusually loud noise... dont know if he did the "megaohm reading" you mentioned but I will ask. He was the same tech who came by a few months ago, serviced the unit, washed the outside unit with garden hose and chemicals... think he might have added some refrigerant then but I am not sure... didn't see him turn the refrigerant bottle upside down or anything like that.. I am not near the beach but am about 50 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, had no floods but had about 4 hurrricanes come over me with only a couple having really high winds... any other ideas or questions. I can't see where in the extended 10 yr warranty where they can depreciate the compressor and make me pay the difference for a new one.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBondMan
    Hey thanks for your input ! Didnt really know what to ask since I am an insurance agent not a HVAC man. But let me answer a couple of questions you raised.....or try to.... I was home when the tech came by.... sorry to say I didnt go outside with him, he was out there maybe 10 minutes, came back in, told me (after I told him it was making a lot of unusually loud noise.....dont know if he did the "megaohm reading" you mentioned but I will ask. He was the same tech who came by a few months ago, serviced the unit, washed the outside unit with garden hose and chemicals.... think he might have added some refrigerant then but I am not sure.... didnt see him turn the refrigerant bottle upside down or anything like that.. I am not near the beach but am about 50 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, had no floods but had about 4 hurrricanes come over me with only a couple having really high winds......any other ideas or questions. I can't see where in the extended 10 yr warranty where they can depreciate the compressor and make me pay the difference for a new one.
    Carefully read the contract is all I can say. He shouldn't be adding refrigerant unless you still have a leak, granted sometimes we know there is a leak, but probably to small to be worth repairing so we let them go.
    Doug Garber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Sounds to me like you bought a lemon or your installer did not do the job correctly.
    GE1223 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Sounds like your being taken for a ride, Its true that if refrigerant was added then it is ether got a leak in the system or the unit was not properly charged to begin with. Most units come from factory with enough refrigerant for a 15' line set(the copper tubes going to the air handler) if it is longer than that more refrigerant needs to be added. The system is a sealed system and should never need refrigerant added. If you did have a leak then it could have gotten non condensibles in the system and that could cause compressor failure. Someone should have told you this the first time refrigerant had to be added. I would call a different service company for a second opinion.Also contact the warranty co and see what they advise
    yearout1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Former trane manager. Call the local trane office and ask to speak with the field service representative (fSR). This is the person who works with the factory and the warranty person for trane when issues like this occur. He is the technical expert and if you maintained the system he may be able to provide some help. If it is outside the extended warranty period it may be a tough one to get approved, but call them.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 06:39 PM

Yearout1
    The thread was posted in November 2007, I would hope it has been resolved by now
    corbettcooling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Sad, to say the least. I charge less for an entire new unit than your contractor does for a minor compressor replacement that takes me less than two hours. Visit my web site for prices and use it as a reference to hire contractors in the future. [email protected] Florida State Certified Mechanical Contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extended notation [ 3 Answers ]

My child has been given a maths problem in his homework which asks him to express a 6 figure number in extended notation, we don't understand. Can anyone help.Thanks :confused:

I lost my data on my extended partition [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need somebody to help me recover my data from a backup. The problem is this: Before installing Windows 2000, I made two partitions on my hard drive A primary partition "C:"in which I installed the opearting system And a logical "extended" partition"D:" in which I saved all my...

HVAC Transformer? Please help! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, while changing my old thermostat to a new one I Didn't realize I had the wrong circuit breaker tripped In my home. Turns out that the new thermostat is not Compatible to the wiring in my house(I think) and After hook up there was no power to the thermostat. I Put the old one back on with...

Extended virtual screen? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone know of a software package that enables an extended virtual screen on a single monitor, I do not meen multiple extended screens or extending your display over multiple monitors, in other words you select a resolution much larger than the monitor is capable of displaying and it...

Dual Monitor Extended Desktop to CRT [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dual monitor on my laptop and extend my desktop when displaying things like PowerPoint and video, etc. As you know, only certain programmes display through the second monitor when you extend your desktop. My questions is, how does the computer know what can be displayed and what can not be...

View more questions Search