Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radar2229 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
    Not sure I agree with what dentist wants to do
    At routine checkup and cleaning dentist told me #13 upper bicuspid needs to have porcelain crown replaced. Said decay was starting underneath. Tooth had prior root canal and crown and is at least 8 years old. Dentist said I need gingivectomy on tooth.

On #20 lower bicuspid I was told gold onlay needs to be replaced with porcelain crown. No previous root canal and he didn't think I would need it. Again, wants to do gingivectomy on tooth.

This office does their own crowns and I was told the appointment would take about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish including gingivectomy, tooth prep, impressions, crown made and inserted.

I was a dental assistant and hygienist in the Army (learned on the job and worked about 2 1/2 years in this field about 40 years ago).

My instinct is telling me that the gingivectomy is unnessary and even if it is, there should be time for healing before doing the crown. I have my teeth cleaned every 6 months and my mouth is very clean, no perio involvement. My gums are strong, no bleeding and I have had many crowns over the years and never needed a gingivectomy.

In adddition, I am used to having a new crown temporarily cemented in when there is no root canal just to be sure the tooth doesn't act up before permanently cementing.

I have been going to this dentist about 3 years and get a discount through my HMO, not an insurance plan. He did another crown replacement last year but that crown had come off. That time there was no mention of a gingivectomy.

I cancelled my appointment scheduled for next week but don't have another dentist to go to for a second opinion.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 09:15 PM
    I'd suggest you ask your friends for their thoughts on the dentists they see and then choose one or two to see for a second opinion.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Feb 28, 2010, 09:02 PM

Sounds like they plan to do a CEREC (one visit CAD/CAM fabricated crown) they are pretty crappy!! Plus, unless he is doing ACTUAL crown lengthening he should not bill for it... sounds fishy to me. Id go to a different guy I don't trust anyone who uses CEREC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You go right I go left sometimes we don't agree [ 2 Answers ]

I have the lyrics to a song, but I cannot find the band name or the title of this song, I also strangely enough have a rough version of it and I would like to buy more from the artist. I was really surprised when I googled parts of the lyrics and could not find the title hopefully someone out there...

Do you agree with this? [ 3 Answers ]

“God’s sign is simplicity. God’s sign is The Baby. God’s sign in that he makes himself small for us. This is how he reigns. He does not come with power and outward splendor. He comes as a baby – defenseless and in need of our help. He does not want to overwhelm us with his strength. He takes...

Does anyone agree with this? [ 9 Answers ]

Personally, I believe that Sarah Palin will make a great president, and if she wants to keep John McCain on the ticket that is fine with me.

Can't agree [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if our company is a large enterprise or a Nonprofit that can pay small enterprise wages in mInnesota. I learned in a class that a NONPROFIT can NEVER be an enterprise because the title is NONPROFIT there for the annual gross income is not considered income. My boss will not...

View more questions Search