Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HTijerina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
    A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp.
    I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran out of whatever you were drinking. I'm assuming it's low on freon but I'm no expert or novice for that matter. One thing I did notice is that the small copper pipe in the inside unit is super cold and the big insulated copper pipe is just room temperature. The conditions of the pipes never differ, the small one is always cold and the large one is always room temp, nothing more and nothing less. Can someone please help me? I don't want to A/C tech taking me for a ride saying I need this and that.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 09:56 PM
    The little copper pipe should only be cold right at the indoor unit not much before it. From what I can guess, you have a leak and its low on refrigerant
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
    The builder or seller is liable to have the A/C in working order. If you need to, talk to the lawyer that did your closing.
    HTijerina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Contractor sent over the a/c tech yesterday and he said it was just low on freon. They filled it up and the its blowing cold air now and the small pipe is now warm the big pipe is cool but not cold. It took close to 13 hours for the a/c to bring the townhome from 85 degrees to 75 degrees. Is that normal for a place that's been without a/c for about 6 days? I'm just afraid of my electric bill if it continues likethat.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HTijerina
    Contractor sent over the a/c tech yesterday and he said it was just low on freon. They filled it up and the its blowing cold air now and the small pipe is now warm the the big pipe is cool but not cold. It took close to 13 hours for the a/c to bring the townhome from 85 degrees to 75 degrees. Is that normal for a place that's been without a/c for about 6 days? I'm just afraid of my electric bill if it continues likethat.
    What was the temperature and humidity when you started the A/C? How many square feet? Did it ever cycle off? How Many ton of cooling? The big copper line (suction line) will run around 48-60 degrees on average based on temperature and pressures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

Broke off copper pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a bathtub faucet and broke off the copper pipe at the wall is there a way to fix the pipe without calling a plummer or soldering?

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search