Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozoDOP2 Posts: 112, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Has there ever been A 1000 feet Tsunami?
    Some paintings show huge tsunamis. But so far, I've only heard of 7 foot ones or so in my life time.

Do tsunamis ever get near 1000 feet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 06:14 PM

What paintings?

One of the highest was the Okushiri, Hokkaidō tsunami which struck Okushiri Island of Hokkaidō within two to five minutes of the earthquake on July 12, 1993, and created waves as much as 30 metres (100 ft) tall—as high as a 10-story building.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 11:06 AM

I was originally going to respond that it would take a hugely catrastrophic event like a large asteroid impact in mid-ocean to generate a tsunami 1000 feet tall (remember the movie "Deep Impact?"), and that there is no evidence of such an event in recorded human history. But then I ran across this:

Physics of Tsunamis

It mentions a 500-meter tall wave in Lituya Bay, Alaska that was caused by a land slide. More info here:

Biggest Wave

So I defintely learned something today!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will it cost to tile a kitchen floor that is 12 feet wide by 20 feet long if the [ 5 Answers ]

What will it cost to tile a kitchen floor that is 12 feet wide by 20 feet long if the tile cost $8.91 per square yard?

Square Feet Board Feet? [ 4 Answers ]

If I know how many square feet I have and I know the thickness of the material I have how I convert these values to square feet?

Tsunami warning [ 5 Answers ]

Tsunami warning after earthquake in Indonesia By Sally Peck and agencies Last Updated: 12:59pm BST 12/09/2007 Indonesian authorities have issued a tsunami warning after a powerful earthquake hit the country near southern Sumatra. The powerful earthquake, which measured 8.0 according to...

Tsunami [ 2 Answers ]

Will there be any tsunamis at southeast asia?or maybe an earthquake?

Tsunami speed [ 0 Answers ]

I have read and heard that tsunamis are capble of moving across the ocean at up to 700 mph. Additionally, that the speeds correlate with the square root of the depth at which the earthquake occurred. This seems counterintuitive to me. Can anyone give me an explanation of why the relationships...

View more questions Search