Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    t2000kw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 03:57 PM
    How do I tell whether my washer has a bad transmission or a bad electronic control pa
    I have a GE Profile clothes washer that is about 8 years old. It used to go to a low speed spin before kicking into high speed. Now, it only goes directly into a high speed spin. When this began, it gave off a burning smell that alarmed my wife. It doesn't give off that odor when I run the "drain and spin" cycle, but it does always go directly into the high speed part of the spin cycle as soon as the washer knows it has drained all of the water out.

The control panel is out of warranty by 3 years. The transmission has a 10 year warranty, so I have 1.5 or 2 years left. A friend at work who does appliance repair on the side (but lives far away) says it could be either the electronic control panel (all push-button, no knobs), or possibly the transmission. He said that the control panel would be costly enough to warrant buying a new washer, and recommended getting one without an electronic control panel if I buy one.

I did unplug it for 1/2 hour or so in order to let the panel reset itself if that was an issue. It works on the GE Profile dryer we have when it acts strangely.

How can I tell where the problem is, whether it is the control panel or the transmission?

Also, if it's the transmission, what would the labor cost to replace this part? The part is covered under the 10 year warranty, but labor is not.

Can I replace it myself and get GE to provide the replacement part, or do they require certified repair people to do it under the warranty?

Thanks!!

Feb 27, 2010, 04:00 PM
    I thought I'd add that if it's the electronic control panel that needs replacement, would it be worth the cost of replacing it since it's not covered under the warranty anymore?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 06:06 PM

If you would add a complete model number, I'll see what I can come up with. Good luck

Feb 27, 2010, 06:21 PM

Model # WPSE7003A0WW
    Serial # GA109435G

Feb 27, 2010, 08:43 PM

And thanks for seeing what you can come up with.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 03:09 AM

t2000kw, I'm unfamiliar with this model, it has a programmable spin setting. You might try repair2000.com good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad Furnace Control Board? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 58PAV that intermittently aborts or sometimes clicks on and off at the draft blower stage. I found out I can move the control board (HK42FZ007) when the blower motor clicks off, and it clicks and comes right back on. If I hold it just right, the furnace starts and if I manage to...

Bad control board [ 13 Answers ]

We have an older Trane gas furnace (TUC series) and the control board went bad (model 50e47-060). The furnace would come on, but there was no signal to the ignitor per the technician who wanted to charge almost $1K to replace the control board. With money being so tight, we purchased a new board on...

Bad '97 Ford Exploere Transmission [ 2 Answers ]

My Explorer has been giving me problems lately with the transmission not going into the higher gears. Its an automatic and will not move unless I put it in either one or two. Now the reverese doesn't work so I took it to a dealer to give me an estimate and what they thought. They recommend that...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

View more questions Search