Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcboy69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Hours cut at work can I get severance pay
    I have worked at my restaurant for 7 years I called in sick hungover and couldn't work I got my Friday night shift cut now I work 2 days a week can I resign and still get severnce pay for the years I put in to the restaurant?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 27, 2010, 03:25 PM

They may not give severence pay. Your not entitled to any. Also calling in with a hangover is on the list of being an achoholic. Maybe that's what is going through their minds.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 03:30 PM

The only way you can get severance pay is if they let you go. Completely. There is no such thing as getting severance pay while still working there, does not matter if your working 2 hours a day.

If you quit you will not get anything. As for the above answer calling in once for a hangover is not on the list of being an alcoholic that is just assumption that is not necessarily true.

If she does good work and has not made an habit of it, it should not matter what is on their minds.. Cutting shifts, it happens...

Have you talked to anyone about your shifts. Have you had any conversations with your boss?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Feb 27, 2010, 03:51 PM

This day and time employers are looking for the least little thing to cut back employees hours. Its sad but it is true and with the economy being the way it is it may be they were going to cut any way.
    As noted above the only way to get severance pay is for them to let you go and even then they may not have to even do that. I worked at a textile company for over 30 years and there were times that they would permantley let people go,people that would have years of service and they never got any severance pay. I thought it was terrible. But when the laid off people inquired about their severance pay they were told they did not have to give them any
    Its just sad
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2010, 03:57 PM

Severance pay is not a right and not required by law. Severance pay is only given if there is a written policy that provides for it.

You can, however, probably get Unemployment. If you quit because your job has been changed or your hours cut, you should qualify for UI.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 07:20 PM

Severance pay is not a right and not required by law.
    Amen. It's not a right. If they are cutting back due to finances, then maybe they don't even have the money to give severance pay. I've also never seen a small company like that give it. Restaurants are on a tight budget. And I don't see that you have any right to it if you completely quit. Right now you at least have some income. Use those extra days to job hunt. If you find something, then you've got a new job anyway, or perhaps another part-time one to add to this. But if you just outright quit, then you have no income. Sounds like you're trying to take advantage of not working at all but still getting some pay.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to the boss about the cutback. Personally, I wouldn't find a hangover a very good excuse, but then, if that had been me I wouldn't have admitted I had a hangover- would've just said I was sick. (People call in"sick" for all sorts of other reasons.) It may not be due to that, or like DownUnder said, them just using that as a way to decide who to cut back. If I had to cut back someone's hours, do I pick the person who is there all the time or the person who had to call in sick from a hangover? Hmm...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contracted raise, pay-cut, severance. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an employment agreement that guaranteed me a increase (20%) at the end of my first year. The company has so far not responded to my requests to address the issue (it's well past my anniversary.) There is a clause in the agreement that states I can leave for cause if the company fails to...

Severance Pay, ERISA [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Executive with 3 years at a firm. I was summarily terminated. No notice, no reason. No fraud, no embezzlement, not anything along those lines. I got caught up in some political matters. I am 60 years old. My contract calls for a one year salary severance package paid in bi-weekly...

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

I received 3 weeks severance pay from my company that I was laid off last July. The company sent my W-2, but I didn't receive a severance form from them. Neither did the others I asked that were also laid off. So? Does that mean then I shouldn't worry about it?

6 weeks pregnant should I cut down on hours of work? [ 6 Answers ]

I found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is my second time becoming pregnant,the first one ended in a m/c in June. I am working 40 hours plus time spend in court, should I cut it down by at least 8 hours a week in order to give the baby and I a rest?

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer has defaulted on our signed severance agreement by having insufficient funds for my severance check to clear. In other words, my severance check bounced. I have notified the District Attorney's office and the Department of Labor. Can I file a summons and complaint and have him...

View more questions Search