Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fisk Posts: 147, Reputation: 5

Feb 27, 2010, 12:14 PM
    My boyfriend keeps getting migraines...
    He's been having them since he was 12. He's now 25 and still gets them at a frequency of lets say once per month. Right now he's in the other room, in pain for 4 hours now, and he took a pill (imigran) about half an hour ago. He's in so much pain, and I can't do anything :( I feel so useless.

I had never heard about men getting migraines before. He says he's been to doctors, did tests, and that's just how he is. Is there any way to prevent this? Or to make it easier when it does happen? :(
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 12:21 PM

Has he been to a neurologist for these migraines and been properly tested? Sometimes the person's circulation or small capillaries are the cause. The migraines can be properly treated with different medication - and not just the medication taken once you get one either. That type of medication does not cure the migraine problem but just treat the symptoms. He needs to see a good neurologist about this.

Feb 27, 2010, 12:43 PM

I will ask him again, but I know that he had gone to a doctor and even got a head scan at some point because he also has headaches quite often. I'm really worried...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 01:04 PM

The head scan was done to rule out a tumor. This is quite common to have excruciating headaches with a tumor in the head.

He needs to go to a neurologist. I had horrible migraines that would last for days at a time until I started taking 2 different RX's a day. It took me about 8 months to complete this treatment but I have not had the headaches come back since. I took Inderal and Elavil. I don't know if this is still offered any longer as successful treatment but that's what I took and had good success with it.

Just taking RX's when you get a migraine is not the same. If anything, sometimes the medications can percipitate the attacks or you get bounce back headaches.

Feb 27, 2010, 01:56 PM

Ok; thanks a lot! I'll tell him. I didn't know there was a possibility of taking some medication every day to make it go away.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 02:02 PM

He really should go back to the dr. like twinkie said, there's medication that can be taken to prevent migraines. Has his dr tried to help him figure out what triggers his migraines?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crippling Migraines [ 17 Answers ]

Hi All My wife gets crippling migraines at least once per week and has had them for over 10years. Although they are better when the weather is not drastic they continue and have total control over her life. She continues to take as many as 7 Tylenol 2's with codeine before I stop her and I...

Suffering with Migraines/headaches nearly everyday [ 5 Answers ]

Since I was 7/8 years old I have suffered with migraines and headaches. I have done the diet diary where I've written everything that I eaten down even if it was a bite of toast.the doctor put it down to chocolate and sweets etc so I stopped eating them. And had a brain scan also and nothing was...

How can I treat migraines? [ 12 Answers ]

I suffer from migraines approx. every 4-6 weeks. I can not take any kind of medication as it always causes vomiting. Can anyone suggest any alternate treatments?

Can taking a specific med. Cause migraines, and other... [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was in the hospitol for vomiting, blurry vision, seeing 2 of everything, very dizzy and off balance, and had a terrible migraine located in the front of my forehead. My doctor took me off 100 mg Zoloft about a month or so ago, then for 7days, 50mg Zoloft for 7 days, then 25mg along with...

View more questions Search