Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanlan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
    My son,13,is in the 6th grade for the 2nd time. Is there a test to skip to the 8th?
    My son, 13, is in the 6th grade for the second time. He was held back in the 1st grade. Is there a test to skip to the 8th in GA?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 03:55 PM

You should concentrate on him attending all the grades and the 7th included. Apparently being held back twice means that there are some learning problems that have not been cleared up yet. And having him skip 7th grade is not going to make his learnng problems magically go away either. If anything it will put too much pressure on him as he will be more than lost by skipping a grade. Just because he is 13 seems to bother you more than it does him.

If you feel so passionately about this, have you ever considered home schooling him? This way he could advance at his own rate and not be hindered by being the oldest student in his class. Or you could have him privately tutored so he will do well in his 6th grade class and proceed on to 7th grade.

Usually the only way to skip a grade is to be mentally more intelligent and passing intelligence tests. I skipped the 7th grade but I had attended the 6th grade and was given intelligence tests. This was many years ago and there was an entire class of my peers who skipped 7th grade along with me in Pennsylvania (about 30 of us). We all did well in 8th grade and proceeded on to 9th. But that was unusual even in the day.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 06:03 PM

To first address the question, often not, it may be up to the school to see how his in class grades are, at what level he is achieving at.

You can do a end of the year type test, CAT is one where you test him to see where it compares to other kids at a grade level.

If you want him promoted up, you will have to present your evidence to the principal or higher to get their permission

If they have been held back, what is that issue ?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    To first address the question, often not, it may be up to the school to see how his in class grades are, at what level he is achieving at.

You can do a end of the year type test, CAT is one where you test him to see where it compares to other kids at a grade level.

If you want him promoted up, you will have to present your evidence to the principal or higher to get thier permission

If they have been held back, what is that issue ?
    We asked the school my grandson attends to hold him back in second grade. For one thing he wasn't ready for third grade because he was very immature due to his parents and his poppy and me. We spoiled him.

Most boy's don't mature as fast as girls do and it's good to hold a child back if he is
    Not keeping up with the class. It's much better to be held back than to let him fall through the cracks. Our grandson benefited greatly from redoing second grade.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I skip a grade [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the 8th grade I got held back in the 1st grade and I wanted to know what summer stuff I can take to get to my right grade?

I am in 8th grade. [ 8 Answers ]

I am in 8th grade and I need to do a Science Fair Project. Does anyone have any ideas? PLEASE HELP ME!

Since 8th grade [ 15 Answers ]

When I was in 8th grade I realized I had feelings for one of my guy friends. Not a close friend but a simple crush nothing more. And he liked me too. But then this girl all of a sudden started crushing on him and then he liked her and then that was it they were going out and me and him were...

6th grade self contained [ 2 Answers ]

Hey ALL I am starting back to school tomorrow and kids come Wed I am looking for a weekly form I can have my students fill out I am calling it Peek of our week And the kids can tell briefly what we did this week in our subject I have spent some time making it but it is just not...

View more questions Search