Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlzielasko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
    Does an architect in Ohio need a written contract?
    Does anyone know if Ohio Law requires architects to have written agreements. If so, do they need to be signed by the client.

Would an email approval suffice for evidence to the state board of architects that the architect had fulfilled their obligation under state law if a written contract is required.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 03:36 AM

I have never seen a law that requires a written contract. It is advisable to get it in writing to protect both parties and spell out what is to be done.

Chuck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2010, 04:08 AM

A written contract is protection for both you and your client. I'm not sure WHY you wouldn't want one. Have your attorney draw up a standard services contract and put it in a word processing form. Then you can copy the standard and edit it to suit each situation.

An e-mail acknowledging receipt of the contract and approval of it should suffice. But a signed document is better.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
    According to the Ohio Architects Board, a written agreement is required to engage the services of an Architect. All of the agreement's requirements are included in the above link.

There is no apparent e-mail clause in the regs. There has been an "e-signature" law in effect since the Clinton administration, however I do not know how that would help with a state regulatory board which chooses to deal only with written, hand-signed documents.

You should contact a lawyer familiar with Ohio case law in this area to be completely safe. A cursory Google Search returns this Construction Attorney, as an example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ohio rules of trial procedures/written instrument [ 19 Answers ]

Can't find the statue for the state of Ohio for credit card companies must provide origianal contract. Received a summons, going to fightem. Please help

Can a verbal contract trump a written contract [ 5 Answers ]

I gave a deposit to a contractor to do a bathroom remodel with a 3-day grace period written into the contract to get my deposit back. The time lapsed as I waited for my appt to meet with the contractor at his showroom to pick my bathroom supplies out. When we got to the showroom the contractor...

View more questions Search