Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt322 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 01:47 PM
    401K With draw
    Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Contact the administrator of you 401k plan.
    Matt322 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt322
    Ok im in a place i need money but have no job and don't know what i am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and i need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

I don't have a job so I don't have a administrater
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2006, 03:14 PM
    If you have money in a 401K plan, then it had to be with a former employer. That employer is the plan administrator. You have to contact the human resources or benefits department of the employer for the forms and process.

I really urge you, however, to reconsider. Cashing out of a 401K is a last resort. You will lose 10% off the top, plus have the distribution added to your taxable income. Also, depending on the way the plan is run, a withdrawal may not be immediate. It could take anywhere from a week or so, to a couple of months.
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt322
    Ok im in a place i need money but have no job and don't know what i am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and i need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.
    Call the administrator of your 401K plan and ask them how to get your money. My 401K is invested in stock so my deal is that I call and tell them to sell off what ever number of shares and disburse the cash to me - they will withhold tax is you are under 65 or 72 or whatever age it is these days and will tell you if there is a penalty for early withdrawal. The shares will sell at whatever the price is when you tell them to do a sell order on the shares.

It's not a hard thing to do as it is your money but you do have to call to make it happen.

Rate my answer, if you please.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Read through your 401k plan information to determine possible loan options. Loans through your retirement account provide money for certain kinds of emergencies that can be repaid through paychecks over a matter of 5 years. These loans do not have the penalties or taxes associated with a regular withdrawal.
    Use 401k withdrawals to pay for a down payment on your first home to avoid penalty. Down payments and closing costs for your first home falls under the Internal Revenue Service's definition of hardship for 401k accounts. Loans and withdrawals for home owners are given lenient standards by Congress to encourage housing expansion.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 401k with less than a $1,000 in it. I wanted to know what the taxes would be? I quit that job and need to get it out. I need to know if I should transfer it of take it out?

Just LOVE to draw... [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, Im 20, just left my job due to problems. I was a secretary (borrrrrring!) I've always has a passion for drawing, painting (mainly abstract, surreal, whatever) and I've been told I really have a gift ;-) So now I'm just a bit confused as to where to go from here. I'd love to express my...

How do I use pastels in teaching children how to draw? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I use pastels in teaching children how to draw?

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

401k [ 8 Answers ]

I am inquiring as to whether a 401K account is still active after 6 years, even though I haven't put anything into it. If so, how do I go about inquiring how to get that money out of that account. The company I worked for has been sold to UPS and now I don't know how to get information on my old...

View more questions Search