Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rooneymom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 09:52 AM
    We were hit by a car and pushed into another car. Whose at fault?
    We were hit by a car and pushed into another lane and hit a car, the police report states this and the officer said it was not our fault, but the lady we hit ,insurance is coming after us. Can we fight this or do we have to pay for it. We live in TN.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rooneymom View Post
    ... but the lady we hit ,insurance is coming after us...
    Her insurance company has sued you?

If so, is there something important you have not told us about the accident?

Notify your insurance company and demand that they defend you.
    rooneymom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Her insurance company has sued you?

If so, is there something important you have not told us about the accident?

Notify your insurance company and demand that they defend you.
    No they have not sued us ,they are threatening to sue. We heard nothing about the accident for 4 months and then the other day we received a letter from a company stating that we have to pay or they will sue us. We didn't go through our insurance because we had liability and the damage to our car was from the other car that hit us , we had no damage from being pushed to the other car. She had a little front end damage . But we were not moving and she was driving when we collided. But this was the fault of the car that hit us and then he took off. We thought he was driving to the parking lot but he drove right through it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rooneymom View Post
    ... We didn't go through our insurance because we had liability and ...
    The other insurance company is claiming you are at fault. This means liability. Your insurance company has an obligation to defend you if you are sued, and to pay the claim (to the policy limits) if you are found to be at fault (which isn't likely from what you say).

Your insurer might want to also sue (in defense of the claim from the driver of the car that you hit) the driver of the car that hit you, but that would be their problem. You are covered by insurance. Use it.

You also should have made a claim against the insurer of the car that hit you for your damages.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2010, 07:34 AM

In NY the woman you hit has no choice but to sue you AND the person who hit you and forced you into her lane - there is no direct connection between the woman you hit and the other car.

Also in NY you don't have to demand that your insurance company defend you. Defending you is their responsibility. I trust your insurancec company has a full report of the accident and received the report within the time constraints of your State's laws. Send the letter to your company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hit one car in the parking lot when I am reversing my car [ 6 Answers ]

The other car got some scratches at bumper and tail light got damgaed only so my question is that does it affect my pubilc record and what type of point will I get,does it required any police report for claims?

Car was hit by another car when reversed from the parking lot [ 19 Answers ]

My car was parked on one-side of parking lot with one-way aisle. When I reversed my car to the middle of the aisle, I stopped there as I found a car from the parking lot behind my car rapidly reversed and hit on my car. My car was damaged with a deep dent and caused problem with the light-signal...

Who is at fault if I hit a stalled car on the freeway? [ 22 Answers ]

So, here's the scenario. Car A was supposedly speeding (according to another injured victim) and lost control and spun on the freeway, hit the center divide, spun around back onto the freeway. Driver of car A abandoned car to avoid being hit, didn't have emergency lights on, regular lights on or...

Parked car/moving car crash - who is at fault? [ 13 Answers ]

I was parked in a parking lot. Opened my car door, car speeds into adjacent space, clips my door. Woman exits screaming, crying, hysterical, her husband's wallet has just been stolen, he will kill her etc. Minimal damage to the inside of my door, but it's $550 (just over my deductible) she has a...

View more questions Search